Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Overboarding Karndean floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

B

burncross

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Got a job coming up.
A new kitchen has been fitted over the top of the original Karndean flooring. So it would be very difficult to remove the Karndean.
Its a timber floor (floor boards) with Plywood poss 3 or 5 mm, then the Karndean.
So I am thinking instead of trying to spend hours if not days trying to remove, simply overboarding with 6mm Hardiebacker, screwed down with 30mm screws. Then install the small format tiles using a good quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ (Weber rapid set flexible).
Is this the way to go?

OP
B

burncross

I reckon it would be difficult to lift the ply, could be screwed down? and kitchen units and kitchen island are fitted directly on top

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What you glueing the Hardi down with on karndean chaps? I'd go with no-more-ply glued and screwed using there 25mm screws. That glue sticks like nothing else I know but don't get it on your hands. :grinning::wink:

OP
L

LM

I reckon it would be difficult to lift the ply, could be screwed down? and kitchen units and kitchen island are fitted directly on top
Speaking with absolute confidence from experience as a time served LVT installer there is no way the underlayment is screwed down, in fact I'd wager that it's hardboard and it'll have been twist nailed or even stapled down. I would screw right through to the subfloor along with sticking down my preferred over board. The LVT won't come away from the hardboard but the hardboard coukd come away from the ply or chipboard sub base.

OP
B

Bill

Speaking with absolute confidence from experience as a time served LVT installer there is no way the underlayment is screwed down, in fact I'd wager that it's hardboard and it'll have been twist nailed or even stapled down. I would screw right through to the subfloor along with sticking down my preferred over board. The LVT won't come away from the hardboard but the hardboard coukd come away from the ply or chipboard sub base.
I have Karndean in my house and the plywood substrate was definitely screwed down and then the screw heads were covered by an Ardex compo...........

OP
L

LM

Your lucky you had a competent floor layer. The Ardex compound was Feather finish. For soft flooring hardboard is acceptable and not many installers would spend the money or go to the effort of having to use a saw to cut a board when you can use a knife on a much cheaper board that's quicker to install and will do the job. Never mind the time involved to screw down all the boards. Vinyl floors don't "suck" the board off the substrate the same way as tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ does.

Last edited by a moderator:

peteablard

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I used 9mm ply in my house and screwed it down before fitting Karndean but normally you'll find its 6mm max and stapled as Lee said. I'd try and lift the lot as you've no idea how secure the original floor is underneath

OP
T

Time's Ran Out

Screwed at 150mm centres through the Hardie , the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, the vinyl, the plywood and into the floorboards - it isn't going anywhere!

peteablard

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
IMO You're still relying on the floor layer to have secured all floor boards before over boarding. Chances are it will be OK but I'd still rather try and get a pry bar under it in the door way to make sure

Kyle Knowles

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Your lucky you had a competent floor layer. The Ardex compound was Feather finish. For soft flooring hardboard is acceptable and not many installers would spend the money or go to the effort of having to use a saw to cut a board when you can use a knife on a much cheaper board that's quicker to install and will do the job. Never mind the time involved to screw down all the boards. Vinyl floors don't "suck" the board off the substrate the same way as tile adhesive does.
I know a couple of kahndean fitters who use 3mm ply cut with a knife and nailed down and u really wouldn't wanna tile over that

OP
D

Dumbo

I have Karndean in my house and the plywood substrate was definitely screwed down and then the screw heads were covered by an Ardex compo...........
When ever I do karndean on timber that is what I do . But I wear a belt to work and don't just rely on my braces.

Reply to Overboarding Karndean floor in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock