Discuss Out Of Interest On Some Background Prep in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
People have so many different ways of doing things now, it becomes very confusing on what is actually the best way!!. So i thought id see what different ways you would all deal with the following situation.

So . . . . you rip out all the tiles in a customers bathroom, the existing render/plaster is shot and comes away back to the brick. How would you treat a 9" solid external wall in a bathroom before tiling??

magga

TF
Reaction score
Personally, I would batten the walls, fix hardiebacker and then tile on top with tanking in the wet areas. I know a lot of people would dot and dab MR plasterboard, tank the wet areas and the tile. It comes down to personal preference really, although plasterboard is much easier to work with than Hardiebacker.

O

One Day

I've very recently had to face this and i fixed 20mm wedi board using spots of adhesive, backed up by a few anchors through the spots. If anyone can think of a faster, better alternative I'd be impressed.

D

Dougs Third Go

I'd be asking why it's a 9" solid wall, seems strange not having a cavity.

O

Old Mod

OP says it's an external wall though ;)
Yep, mines an outside wall too Doug.
I've now got 90mm Lambdatherm expanded polystyrene fixed to it outside covered with a silica/render coat over the top.
We had a damp issue before it was fitted, even with an injected damp course 1.2m up the wall. Seems to be receding now, thank heavens.
Must have been drawing moisture straight thro from outside I assume.
Praps that's something to consider when prepping this external wall.
I don't know a lot about damp tho, need to swat up I reckon.
Unless someone can educate me please?
Short version tho! :)

J

Just Rizzle

sounds like a house built over 100 yrs ago if that's the case I would mechanically fix 50 mm wedi so as to give a bit of insulation between walls and tiles did ahouse exactly like that just befor x mas
from been a cold room now is thermally insulated and warm

F

Flintstone

Most people would dot and dab plasterboard on I'm sure, although not the best way, probably the cheapest

Reaction score
I thought plasterboard would be a popular choice. My concern would be on a half tiled bathroom. Would the dabs cause some sort of thermal bridging and create cold spots where the dabs are, which could in the long run create damp patches on the board.

W

White Room

I thought plasterboard would be a popular choice. My concern would be on a half tiled bathroom. Would the dabs cause some sort of thermal bridging and create cold spots where the dabs are, which could in the long run create damp patches on the board.

Any gaps or opening should be sealed off to isolate on an external wall....stops any cold bridging.

Reply to Out Of Interest On Some Background Prep in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks