Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Once tiled, how long before turning on ufh in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

J

Jas0n

Please checkout the following advertisement.
hi,

I’m close now to finishing of the tile in my kitchen with porcelain tiles. I am looking for some advice on when it would be safe to be able to switch the ufh back on. I have used a Topps Tiles flexible rapid set https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ but there is no guideline for when to switch the ufh back on after using there product.

Thanks

Jason

OP
O

Old Mod

Wait 28 days for https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grouts to cure
Start the ufh at ambient temperature,
approx 15 degrees.
Increase the temperature by no more than 5 degrees a day until max temp is reached.
Leave at running temp for two days and then reduce by same 5 degrees a day until off.
Then you can use the ufh, increasing the temp over a few days.
The ufh heating should never be whacked on full from cold or from hot to Off in one go.
If the heating is likely to be off for a period of time, ie a holiday or summer months, always decrease over a few days.
Thermal shock can be caused at any time, and the most likely cause being a dramatic change in temp, from hot to cold, or vice versa.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, that I didn’t know. :):thumbsup:
Common mistake is that people think the floor should feel hot. It shouldn’t.
45 degrees at the manifold will give a floor temp of around 32 degrees. With timber, or a amtico floors, the temperature should be reduced even more to give a floor temp of max 29 degrees. This can be controlled with a floor probe.
Floor coverings should be considered at the design stage. And pipework design can then accommodate this .

OP
J

Jas0n

Thanks for the advice, I’m glad I’ve now found this out otherwise I would have turned it on. Looks like I will have to plug in a few rads in the kitchen for the next few weeks then.
As for the blending valve it has been set to max, and I don’t really want to be messing with the manifold and the stuff with it as that’s not something I’m that clued up on.

Reply to Once tiled, how long before turning on ufh in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock