Discuss Old tile query in 1950s house in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Afternoon all. I'm just starting a cloakroom toilet project and i need some advice regarding old tiles.

Having just ripped some old skirting off, i discovered that it had been bonded to some very old looking tiles that transition 90° bewteen the floor and the wall. Unfortunately some of them broke as i pulled the skirting away. Naturally being my first project I'm a little concerned about asbestos tiles. Ideally i need to remove the wall portion of the tile to get a nice flat wall to tile.

It may be a bit of a long shot but has anyone come across these types of tile before? Anything to worry about?

Thanks in advance!

IMG_20190119_163111.jpg IMG_20190119_163105.jpg

Reaction score
They look like coves. Just made from clay
I don't think you have any worries about asbestos

Thank you for the reply! I suspected as much and i know it's difficult to tell based on a picture alone but it's good to get a second opinion.

Thought I'd add a couple of pics of the project! Will be tilling the floor and walls and adding a very compact toilet and sink!

IMG_20190119_154926.jpg IMG_20190119_154932.jpg

W

Waluigi

That soil pipe is crying out to be dug up and set back closer to the wall.

I do a lot of them, makes a huge amount of difference having the WC against the back wall.

The tiles in question, they’re not flexible in any way are they? Difficult to tell from the photo.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like salt glaze.

Not a diy job....

W

Waluigi

A days work for a Plumber. You’d need to check to see if you have enough length in the vertical run to be able to set the pipe back.

W

Waluigi

Keep in mind at present you have what’s called a space saver pan connector in there Which is also known as a question mark pan connector.

Replace that with something similar. If you put a standard bent multikwik in, the Pan will be further forward.

A lot depends on the type of pan you’re installing too.

Reaction score
Evening all. Bit of an update on my project. We decided to get our tiles and adhesive tested and it came back positive for Asbestos (Chrysotile). Not a big surprise to be fair and very low risk according to our report.

My plan all along was to remove the old tiles anyway, I'll just be doing it under the HSE guidlguides. I have no plans to remove the bitumen as it's so thin and not worth the trouble, however, I'd like some advice on whether i should tile straight over the bitumen or use a compound to seal it?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Thanks whitebeam. Any recommendations?

I was thinking: https://www.NoLinksToThis/p/mapei-ultimate-leveller-1210-self-levelling-floor-compound-20kg/4377v

Reply to Old tile query in 1950s house in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks