Discuss Oh Oh Black Limstone problems in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

DHTiling

Leave the mortar bed to fully set , the efflorescence is just salt migration and easily sorted.

LTP have said to not use stone oil
or colour intensifier till some tests are done.

Sent from my iPhone

H

Howard

Dave, do we need to do anything to help resolve the efflorecence problem, or just wait until it naturally stops occuring. We really are stuck as to what to do now and my wife is getting very distressed over the whole thing. Do yo think there will be a problem with the landscapers doing the pointing on Tuesday without the stone being sealed and this efflorcence problem and what can you recommend to get rid of the excess stone oil or will this just go in time. Have to say the stone looks worse today, now lost the ice black appearence from the stone oil and is changing to a dull grey. As mentioned to you by phone LTP originally recommended putting on as many coats of stone oil as we could before pointing but we have only put on the one coat so far.

H

Howard

HA ha. No Cant remember seeing one of these. Thanks for the photo so we know for next time!!

A

Aston

the oil should be applied in thin layers, stage by stage and allowed to absorb and dry. stone or any substrate come to mention it, can only absorb so much oil, sealer or water in any one application...

the efflorescence as dave says isnt a big issue. just soluble salts that have been drawn to the surface via water evaporting. you see it on bricks sometimes. it can easily be removed with a soft brush and water. dont use anything acidic though!!!!

the salts can be in the mix, the stone its self or the substrate. the builders should have used a washed sand for fixing (not too wet) and the bed should have been screeded in bays over the hardcore at about 20mm thick and then the limestone fixed and covered over to prevent rain until its set and oiled. water will be in the ground though if theres been heavy rain so it can come via the ground too!!

weather conditions all play a part in layer stone and doing ground work etc..heavy rain, frost all things to be avoided..

H

Howard

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately I don't know what has been used or how by the builders. It definately was not covered over but there was no rain for a days after laying. The efflorecence seems to be spreading all over the stones now, is that normal.. will it get worse better it gets better. Any ideas why the stone has lost it's nice black appearence after oiling and has gone grey. We are waiting advice from LTP on the next step once Mark has returned from leave, but just need to know are the builders okay pointing with no sealer on, or would it help to prevent staining if we sealed around the edges?? Any idea on how to get rid of excess oil

H

Howard

Thanks all for your advice not to point. We did think the same, not to point until sealed, except Marks collegue, Richard, at LTP has told us to go ahead and point without sealing. Obviously our builder man is concerned about this as are we, but Richard said this was the way forward now as getting enough dry days at any one time in this country is difficult and if you don't have at least 4 after sealing, the rain can ruin it all. He felt that we should get the stone pointed as this will help prevent a re occurance of efflorecence at the same intensity, let it settle for a couple of weeks and then Mark can advise of a cleaning solution to use. Would you agree, as we can't risk having any more problems. At the moment we feel we have enough to rectify.

J

jay

if that's what LTP recommend then follow their instructions to a tee ,Good luck and can you let us know how it goes

D

DHTiling

If he uses a pointing gun like i mentioned onthe phone and then tool the joints once the mortar has started to firm up then yes he can go ahead.. but working very clean is the key..

M

Marble Life Ltd

It depends on what he is grouting with! He could also use a dry mix of sand and cement and do it that way. Regardless the efflorescence is minor and can be sorted afterwards with Aqua mix Eff-Ex. Then clean t and get all that crappy oil out and seal it properley with a good quality premium sealer.

Kevin

H

Howard

Hi

Sorry I have not managed to get to your replies before now. The grouting I have to say is looking good. Our chaps have been brilliant taking their time and keeping things as clean as they could. Even the over application of oil seems to have been rectified with constand brushing off new rain. We will have to wait and see what things look like after the rain, and it is expected this weekend.
We will let you know what the end result is like once we have cleaned it.

Thanks again to all of you for your comments and advice.

Howard and Natalie

Reply to Oh Oh Black Limstone problems in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks