Discuss Oh Oh Black Limstone problems in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

H

Howard

Hi Guys.

Myself and my partner live in Ilkley, West Yorkshire and wanted to say how great this forum is.

We have recently bought and now laid some black limestone flags in our garden. After looking for advise on how to lay
these flags on the net we found really helpful advice from threads in your forum. Having read this advise and taken it on board we laid the flags being really careful at all stages. The stone was taken from the packing crate with gloves as not to get grease marks on the stone. The stone was washed and allowed to thoroughly dry out before our builder laid it. The builders were instructed to be very careful. They wore gloves, kept it as clean as possible being very careful to avoid getting any mortar on the surface and if they did to wipe of straight away with a wet cloth.

Once laid and before pointing I oiled the flags believing that this would help reduce the chance of staining should the builder get any grout on the surface. It all looked great after I brushed the oil on. Two days later came a heavy downpour. After the rain we were horrified to find two problems with the flags.

Problem One as seen in pics 1 and 2

There were light patches left on the stone(Picture 1) It looks as though the water has just pooled on top of the oil. I am thinking that I was a little too liberal with the oil when I brushed it on thus creating this problem. When the water was brushed off and the stone dried there was not much evidence that there had been a problem (picture 2).

If there is too much oil on the flags, will we get this problem every time they get wet or can we expect the effect to be reduced in time? Is there a need to somehow get the oil off and start again?

Problem Two seen in pic 3

A few of the flags have got white marks to the edges of the surface. Most of these white marks appear where there is a little mortar on the edge of the flag but the cement is not on the surface. Again this has only just happened after oiling the
stone two days previously. Is this likely to get worse and is it advisable to point ASAP?

Incidentally, we have been in contact with LTP to find out if we should seal the stone before we point and their advise was to oil only. In fact they are now saying just use stone oil as there will be massive problems if we use sealer and it then gets rained on within four days of applying.

I know that Black Limestone problems have really come to light of late and we are sorry for bothering you with yet more problems but any advice will be very much appreciated. We are devastaed that having been so careful that we are still experiencing problem.

Kind regards

Howard

H

Howard

Hi Jay

Thanks for your quick response. No, for some reason I can not up load the pics. I keep on getting a pop up box that says I do not have permission to do so.

H

Howard

Hi Jay

Hopefully this will work.

stone pic 2.jpg stone pic 3.jpg stone pic 1.jpg

D

DHTiling

Pic 2 is efflorescence and that will be from the mortar bed , as for the oil then as I said on the phone , over application .

Sent from my iPhone

H

Howard

We used LTP Stone Oil. The pic on the right shows the light patches on the stone when wet. When dry as pic on right the patches are still there but no where near as bad. The pic in the middle shows the white edges which look as though they have reacted to the mortar underneath. Today these patches of white have got worse than shown in the pic but not on all the tiles

U

user123

Dave on here knows most about stone, he'll be able to advise you when he comes on I reckon, but as I'm married to a Yorkshire born Howard I just thought I'd say hi and good luck with it! :welcome: Oops, hadn't seen Dave's reply, small netbook screen,, :)

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Howard

Hi Dave and Thanks

Your advise was very helpful but we are still not sure what to do as things seem to have got worse ove the last day or so. I realise that I put on too much oil....Is there anything that will get it off? We have been in touch with LTP and Mark is away. LTP have said that we should now point and that there is no need to seal at this stage. We are concerned that we will make the situation worse. Also we are not sure what to do about the efflorescence which seems to have got worse with the heavy rain we have had over the last few hours.

H

Howard

Thanks Mosaic Girl.

I find the support to be found in this forum very encouraging. I am sure there are others out there with problems a lot more serious than ours.

H

Howard

Jay

The tiles are laid on mortar which went down onto compacted hardcore. Not sure what mix of and and cement was used.

J

jay

So the hard core was laid then compacted then mortar laid directly on top with a notch trowel

H

Howard

Sounds about right but I was not around when the guys laid it. Not quite sure what a notch trowel is though.

Reply to Oh Oh Black Limstone problems in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks