Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Not happy with tiling job - or am I being picky? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
you say the tiles are straight and there's nothing wrong with them...
how did you check this..??

OP
S

sjb1288

you say the tiles are straight and there's nothing wrong with them...
how did you check this..??

Measured the depth with a steel rule along the edges, and ran a spirit level across the tops with them butted against each other. Certainly nothing that would make lipping unavoidable...

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Measured the depth with a steel rule along the edges, and ran a spirit level across the tops with them butted against each other. Certainly nothing that would make lipping unavoidable...
you need to put them face to face to check if there bowing, like this...

IMG_20190520_144017.jpg

OP
S

sjb1288

So there's a little bowing if you put them back to back like above, but this must be why the manufacturer specified no brick bond? There are cases where I have lipping along the full tile length though so this can't explain that.. Also, if the BS states max 1mm lipping for joints this small, surely the tiles should be designed to make this possible and that it's the installer's responsibility to check that it can be achieved?

OP
D

Dumbo

These are exactly my thoughts, at the moment I'm trying to gauge what would be acceptable compensation in that case. Half my money back? All of it?
Compensation isn't going to make the lips go away or make you happy with th
So there's a little bowing if you put them back to back like above, but this must be why the manufacturer specified no brick bond? There are cases where I have lipping along the full tile length though so this can't explain that.. Also, if the BS states max 1mm lipping for joints this small, surely the tiles should be designed to make this possible and that it's the installer's responsibility to check that it can be achieved?
You would think that about tiles , but as tilers we as the people at the end of the line have to deal poor quality materials and try and make a good job out of it.
Just one thing to remember when negotiating with your tiler british standard are not law, they are not even buildings regs they are just recommended code of good practice

Last edited by a moderator:

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
doesn't look great but the chances are that the planks will be slightly bowed which will cause lippage no matter what the installer does. The light is probably making it look worse aswell. Any half decent carpenter will be able to scribe them skirtings in to lose the gaps. Can't really see what the tiler can do now apart from re-do the lot if i'm honest and maybe could re-pay you a few quid for the sub-standard finish. wouldn;t bother with court etc though.

Reaction score
I had some similar plank tiles to lay earlier on this year. They all had a slight bow some worse than others. Had to clip them all, used a ton of clips which made removing and cleaning them take twice as long. Tried not to bond them no more than a 3rd. I wouldn't get too hung up on the deviation over a 2metre straight edge, sometimes you have to follow variations in the floor to a degree but can still avoid lippage. Depends really on how much prep/self levelling was allowed for. But I think the tiler should be given the opportunity to try and rectify the worse areas.

OP
S

sjb1288

Had to clip them all, used a ton of clips which made removing and cleaning them take twice as long.

So does using clips go a long way to solving the problem? Would they have ensured lipping was minimised to at least BS guidelines? I spoke to him on the phone and he said 'ah yeah, those clips are for people that don't know what they're doing..' I bit my tongue until I have all the facts.

OP
J

J Sid

So does using clips go a long way to solving the problem? Would they have ensured lipping was minimised to at least BS guidelines? I spoke to him on the phone and he said 'ah yeah, those clips are for people that don't know what they're doing..' I bit my tongue until I have all the facts.
🤣🤣🤣🤣
Yes we haven't a clue what we are doing

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh god.

When I last tiled there weren't such tiles around. When the clips first came about I was skeptical, thought it was an extra process that a good tiler doesn't need to do.

Having seen so so many threads now about bowed plank tiles (they bow when cooling when being manufactured) I now think the clips are a must.

And the proof is in the pudding lol

You didn't have clips used and have bowed lipped tiles.

Tiler choice has to come into it too. Picking the cheapest always gets you the guy who doesn't know what he's doing. I hope that wasn't the case with this one.

OP
D

Dumbo

Oh god.

When I last tiled there weren't such tiles around. When the clips first came about I was skeptical, thought it was an extra process that a good tiler doesn't need to do.

Having seen so so many threads now about bowed plank tiles (they bow when cooling when being manufactured) I now think the clips are a must.

And the proof is in the pudding lol

You didn't have clips used and have bowed lipped tiles.

Tiler choice has to come into it too. Picking the cheapest always gets you the guy who doesn't know what he's doing. I hope that wasn't the case with this one.
See that's the theory I work on , I'm crap but I make sure I'm pricey , there for perceived value makes people think I'm good .

OP
B

Bill

Clips you say? Bowed tiles you say?

Attachments

• IMG_20191206_082547.jpg
    IMG_20191206_082547.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20191206_082600.jpg
    IMG_20191206_082600.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20191206_082613.jpg
    IMG_20191206_082613.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20191206_124319.jpg
    IMG_20191206_124319.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_20191206_124329.jpg
    IMG_20191206_124329.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20191206_124353.jpg
    IMG_20191206_124353.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 31
  • 20191207_124906.jpg
    20191207_124906.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 20191207_124923.jpg
    20191207_124923.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20191207_124655.jpg
    IMG_20191207_124655.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20191207_124702.jpg
    IMG_20191207_124702.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20191207_124944.jpg
    IMG_20191207_124944.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20191207_124953.jpg
    IMG_20191207_124953.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 32
Reaction score
There is one big thing about tiles that people tend not to understand.

That there exists a Renault Clio and it costs 20k, and that there exists a Mercedes S which costs 100k. But a tile is a tile. Yea, right.

HOWEVER, looking from the customer's perspective in one hand I understand it is very hard to know what is a quality material and who to trust for advise and laying in the end.
Been laying glass tiles "worth" 650€/m2, the guy said to me watch out when laying it, it is a very expensive material. Looking at it I wanted to cry, the difference in dimensions, a bow, etc.

It is hard to say anything from the pictures, we would have to see tiles in person, try how to cut it. Clips are a must, but can't do miracles. It is still possible to do a neat job with a crap tiles. BUT the general problem at the tiler's, you put price per m2, after you get low budget material you spend twice as much time and effort to put it together, resulting in no revenue.

Don't know what to do or say in this case, folks, when buying tiles ask someone as much reliable as you can get, and check the builder's works before tiles.
Been there, done that, had stairs one week ago that seemed perfectly fine, when measuring it 4cm height difference on some spots. What to do or what to say?

Reply to Not happy with tiling job - or am I being picky? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock