Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Not happy with the standard of tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hey so I have recently bought a new build house and wanted my floors tiled, I bought the tiles myself from Mandarin Stone and hired a tiler to lay them for me. The floors were in good condition and most importantly level prior to him starting. After 4 days he was done however the tiles were not level and the grout was not level either so between some tiles it was spilling out and between some it was extremely low. I had 5 tiles left over so I asked him to come back fix them. He used all 5 remaining tiles and re grouted them however the tiles are not level nor is the grout. He quoted me £1200 before stating the job and I paid him £900 purely because of how badly it was done (he had also reversed into our garage and damaged the wall without telling us) now that the tiles have been properly cleaned etc they look even worse and I’m not happy that I paid him the £900 because the whole floor will need to be redone. What can I do?

this is my first property so I was clueless about who to go with however multiple businesses quoted me £1200 therefore I assumed the price was okay.

CF5C4466-9EB4-40D3-941D-5770DB1A87E9.jpeg

2B288B96-0FD2-4B72-ADF1-F8938F10D08D.jpeg

6CD51C38-26DC-4F3A-B749-3BA43F9BC920.jpeg

BA835DB0-4062-4BC0-B1EA-B4336C519692.jpeg

34302414-DF8A-4EC8-97AD-40DAFA046D28.jpeg

244D1D3C-A4A8-4410-A826-459E4E7E5C3E.jpeg

6F3E9C9C-AB61-4882-A82C-ED7B1EAFB9CA.jpeg

AA9CE9A8-C16B-4525-80D8-D020AE43BA81.jpeg

6274B447-7871-4E01-9955-4A345F1D01D3.jpeg

69441F77-699D-46BF-9607-778639E4D2A0.jpeg

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thats not good at all. let him know you want him to come back
and put right what hes done thats the first thing to do and see what
his answer is

OP
J
Reaction score
Thats not good at all. let him know you want him to come back
and put right what hes done thats the first thing to do and see what
his answer is
Those photos were taken after he back to fix it…I’m not the type to critique someone’s work especially if I can’t do it myself but I can’t believe that we have spent £800 on tiles and then paid the tiler to absolutely mess them up

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Then you need to tell him that your still not happy and you want it sorting out
make sure you keep all the e mails you send him and his replys. How far do you want to take this?
Are you prepaired to take him to the small claims court?
Its not up to a accepable standard but you have to give him a chance to put it right
at no cost to you.

faceman

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Your grout has already started to crack and lift in places which means tiles are loose. Try tapping them and seeing if they are hollow. I feel for you and you should have not had to pay for that as he’s actually cost you even more in the long run. This guy isn’t a professional and not even a good person to take your money. I would seek repayment and I would feel a responsibility to warn others. This is the dark side of this unregulated Wild West trade I’m afraid.

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Unfortunately you have agreed on a reduced price due to the poor quality. Legally speaking you might have shot yourself in the foot. You can ask but he may well say no as you agreed to the reduced price. I suspect you wont be able to do much other than talk nicely to him.

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
But as said grout cracking so loose tiles and you should be able to get at least
that sorted. agreing to a lower price does not let him off the hook with regards
to bad workmanship and his responsibilty to do a job thats fit for perpose and must be
guaranteed...

Reaction score
Definitely a bad job, no excuse for lips that bad using levelling clips or not . As for the grout cracking shows there are definitely some badly fixed tiles .

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
But as said grout cracking so loose tiles and you should be able to get at least
that sorted. agreing to a lower price does not let him off the hook with regards
to bad workmanship and his responsibilty to do a job thats fit for perpose and must be
guaranteed...
It depends. If the agreement is in full and final settlement that's an end to it. If its conditional then maybe but most settlements are full and final.

bsc ceramics

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I dont think so it still has to be up to standed and guaranteed.
just because you get money off something you still have
consumer rights

Ajax123

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I dont think so it still has to be up to standed and guaranteed.
just because you get money off something you still have
consumer rights
You generally waive your rights if the agreement is full and final. I certainly wouldn't want to challenge it in court. It really depends on what has been said and agreed and of course what's written down.

Reaction score
Sorry to see this , grout joint was broken and wasnt finished properply. The tiles are not flush.

Reaction score
You don’t have to use them. A good tiler can install tiles to a high standard.
The tile you’ve had done certainly isn’t a tiler in my eyes.
Why wouldn't you use them. Back in the day we used matches as spacers. We've all moved on. Granted they don't do the job for you but can assist. Bit like a spirit level really.

Reply to Not happy with the standard of tiling in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock