Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss No more ply (NMP) or Hardiebacker over wet UFH in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

R

Rosewood

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
I am replacing a tiled floor and will need to overlay with 6mm backer board. This is on top of 15mm ply over wet UFH in dry screed.

I need a backer board with the highest k-value (lowest R-value). So far from the data sheet 6mm hardiebacker has a k-value of 0.19W/mK. Does anyone know what the equivalent is for 6mm No More Ply?

Thanks!

OP
O

Old Mod

Ok understand now, thank you.
Unfortunately problems like these are almost always budget driven repairs, which is completely understandable, as there are better ways of dealing with the issue.
If you really want to resolve this on a permanent level and you can allow for it in your budget, rip it all back to joist and re cover with either 22mm no more ply, or Gyprocs GIFA board.
Both are inert materials and are not effected by either atmospheric conditions or moisture.
Not the cheapest solution I grant you, both these products are both structural and are ready to tile, as is.
However follow all instructions to the letter before tile, there are different preparations before tile with either, ignore them and you’ll be back to square one. But a brilliant solution.

OP
R

Rosewood

Thanks 3_fall. Yes i can see that this would be the definitive solution. We have a fitted kitchen that would be all but impossible to unfit, and then refit. So we'd need a new kitchen too if we ripped up the whole floor. Hence this compromise.

Incidentally i think i can answer my own question. I found the technical spec for no more ply - the thermal conductivity is 0.41 W/mK. So its twice as conductive as Hardiebacker - which is good for my purposes!

OP
O

Old Mod

Yes i can see that this would be the definitive solution. We have a fitted kitchen that would be all but impossible to unfit, and then refit. So we'd need a new kitchen too if we ripped up the whole floor

The kitchen could remain in place as a rule, but anyway, glad you resolved your query, good luck.

Reply to No more ply (NMP) or Hardiebacker over wet UFH in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock