Discuss No More Ply and Wedi Alternatives in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Chris Churchill

Hey all,

So I'm about to start working on a wetroom project on my first floor (and am not interested in UFH). Naturally, this is currently timber floorboards - which are in good nick, however, in a previous thread, someone posted that I should remove these and place 22mm NMP down directly onto the joists instead of using standard ply. This is fine - as I want to minimize the raising height for when I tile to keep them inline with the next room. Once laid, the plan is for me to Ditra over the top of this (which I already have).

The problem I have, is that NMP is pretty scarce in my area and even finding it online is proving troublesome. Therefore, can anyone suggest any alternatives? I'm in the South East (London/Kent borders) so can collect relatively locally.

I have found this:
Heavy Duty Construction Board 22mm | Topps Tiles - https://www.toppstiles.co.uk/tprod46967/heavy-duty-construction-board-22mm.html?utm_source=google-shopping&gclid=CjwKCAjw8_nXBRAiEiwAXWe2yZtG2Wtu3dMJtVOaPGy7GyNZE8oRo-DNPMAYOwAebSXx182_umi1oRoC0JQQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds#fo_c=2258&fo_k=8c8857a8bf5780176a203808fa236ff2&fo_s=gplauk

However, anything Topps immediately feels like a rip.

Additionally, as I'm looking to do a wetroom, I'm having the same issue regarding backboards for the wall. Wedi boards have been suggested, but again can't find them anywhere. Also, Kerdi boards agreed are nice, but WAY out of my budget.

B&Q do these:
Aquadry Waterproof Board (L)1200mm (W)600mm (T)12mm | Departments | DIY at B&Q - https://www.diy.com/departments/aquadry-waterproof-board-l-1200mm-w-600mm-t-12mm/259514_BQ.prd

and I've also found these:
Marmox: Marmox Multiboard - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Marmox-Multiboard-Tile-Backer-Insulation-Boards
Orbry: Orbry Board - https://www.tilefixdirect.com/product/Orbry-Insulated-Backer-Board

Can anyone point me in the right direction for each of these products or suggest any alternatives - and also back them up with reasons?

Many thanks!

P.S I should also note that these boards have to navigate around a labyrinth of steps which I'd be doing on my todd. I'm no Schwarzenegger, so dare say, weight and the odd wedging does play a slight factor. I'm also open to WBP Ply too with good reasoning as I'm Ditra-ing over the top, but either way, floorboards are going.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Flintstone

Leave the floor boards if there in good order your just making more work for your self. Fit the tray as per instructions which will probably leave 10mm at a guess for your overboarding. Over board the floorboards with 10mm marmox board, board your walls with marmox board and seal all up. No need for ditra, you don’t need to use it just because you have it. Why no ufh to help dry it out?

C

Chris Churchill

Thanks for the reply, however my research indicates that Ditra is the superior product - especially for wetrooms so sorry to say I think I'm still heading in that direction. Also, I cant justify buying an alternate waterproofing for the floor when I already have this in place. The question I have really is around the substrate to accommodate for the Schluter before I tile and where to get it from.

Also, with regards to overboarding the floorboards, I wanted to remove any form of lateral movement or bounce as suggested in my original post (Ditra 25 and Kerdi Keba for floor, walls and wetroom? - https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/ditra-25-and-kerdi-keba-for-floor-walls-and-wetroom.86017/) and not increase the height. Understood that overboarding will assist with this movement, but from what I understand, not completely. Additionally, many threads around this topic (on this forum and in several other places) suggest to remove the floorboards if you can - which I can, so I am.

Finally, the underfloor heating is just not in my budget. We have rads in place and don't see the need to add additional cost for just one room.

As it stands, like previously mentioned, we're removing the floorboards, but would like to get a good understanding of what the best available structural substrate would be.

Thanks

C

Chris Churchill

30 meters Ditra 25 and 60m Kerdi Keba band. I have enough to do the floor a few times over, and probably the walls with it too - but this doesn't seem to be recommended :)

C

Chris Churchill

Not yet as theres no discounted price atm - but thats easy to get hold of. Thought Id wait until I really needed it or until the price came down in a sale or something. Whichever came first.

C

Chris Churchill

But what if I were to say I picked these up for less than half that. Either way, point is not about the Ditra, its about what substrate to use to lay it on.

C

Chris Churchill

Awesome - I did have a Google about for this since you previously pointed me into that direction, and also came to the same site, but - Bah! I don't have a trade account, nor have ability to create one, so am needing to try on doors I can access.
Thanks for the link though!

O

On one

Ditra won
But what if I were to say I picked these up for less than half that. Either way, point is not about the Ditra, its about what substrate to use to lay it on.
Schluter might be interested to know which retailer you got your materials from, for that price then.

O

On one

Why spend time taking up the perfectly good floorboards and replacing with WPB ply ....which you will have to cut outside in the open air and most likely have to fit noggins in the subfloor
?

Last edited by a moderator:
C

Chris Churchill

*Suggest you read original post (link above), their responses and this opening thread again.

I understand this is a controversial topic and agree there is always more than one way to do it. But given the original advice given, not just here on this forum, but elsewhere, please respect the fact that I have opted to remove the floorboards as I have been convinced that tiling ontop of timber is not a suitable foundation - fundamentally for the bounce and wood movement. I accept that overboarding is a good alternative, but as I have the luxury of being able to remove the floorboards, this is the better option from what I have been explained. Why have something adding potential movement when I can get rid of it and firm it up more?

Regarding where I bought my Ditra from - have you never bought something from a friend or accumulated bits over time? I was just lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time, but having it rolling about the house for the past few months isn't great on space.

Now, hopefully bringing this back to a diplomatic point - to reiterate my original post, its about what the appropriate structural boards to use accessible either online or within my area. I have no trade account and am no tradesman in the field so unless Jewson, Selco or [insert favorite trade store here] opens its doors to DIY enthusiasts, then Im out of luck for these venues. The only products I have found to be possible are the listed above.

I would love to hear about what products you all have used in place of NMP under the assumption that they are attached to the joists and not overboarding.

GIFA board does sound like an option, but again am having issues locating a non trade location to access it.

Hope this makes sense
Thanks

Reply to No More Ply and Wedi Alternatives in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks