Discuss Nightmare Tile Floor - Advice Needed in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post and I am in desperate need of advice!

Last year I had a porcelain tiled floor laid in my kitchen and hallway. I had many people come to quote/ advise about the job so was sure it would be OK!

The floor was extremely unlevel, and tiles were put down over a mixture of a concrete floor, and (this is the problem area) what I suspect were the original 1920's quarry tiles. The floor was levelled with a screed, which may be very thick in parts and the tiled on top.

The problem is, I now have water coming through the grout over the quarry tiled area, leaving ground salts if and when it dries. this is getting worse.

Another problem, is that I only have around 5mm below the top of the tiles and the bottom of the back door. The floor is also 22m2...

I am really annoyed that I didn't put a de-coupling membrane down, for the sake of a few £100 originally, or even consider that this would be a problem. But I am where I am, and obviously the kitchen has long since been finished.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could do in this situation. My fear is that it is going to involve an SDS drill, taking up the entire floor, screed, the lot. And re-laying with a decoupling membrane/ paint-on DPM?

Is this even possible?

Thank you,

Jack

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I suspect you have no damp course under the quarry tiles and you should not have tiled on top of them...

O

Old Mod

Normally the advice would be to rip up the quarries and replace with a membrane and re-screed.
I would suggest you contact a tile adhesive company like Bal, Ardex, or TileMaster, and see if they have a system that can bail you out.
New products come on to the market everyday, you may be lucky and be able to avoid the very basic of fixes, which would be to start again unfortunately.
I think the chances are slim tho.
sorry.

Reply to Nightmare Tile Floor - Advice Needed in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks