Discuss Newly laid porcelain floor tiles over UFH, showing lines, in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
new porcelain floor tiles laid 4 weeks ago over new electric heating matts. Heating only connected a week ago and dark lines showing on most tiles?

possible causes? Any help/ guidance appreciated. Laid by tiler not DIY.
64CDCBB8-727C-49E3-9E61-82452CD85906.jpeg

demi34

TF
Arms
Reaction score
They are 2 things you have to know, did the tiler cover the underfloor heating with self levelling and he gone for grey adhesive and dot and dab.

Reaction score
They are 2 things you have to know, did the tiler cover the underfloor heating with self levelling and he gone for grey adhesive and dot and dab.
Hi
heating matts covered in self levelling screed and watch him and full coverage not dot and dab.Adhesive was grey though , tiles are 8mm porcelain

Reaction score
Might be the quality of the tiles
thanks for responses.....don’t know how I would prove tiles were at fault?

So grey adhesive ok to have been used as long as not dot and dab?

tiles laid some 4 weeks ago and heating only hooked up a week ago.

could marks go away? or will i have to live with them, as don’t fancy floor coming back up in a large 33sq meter Kitchen area.

trying to be sure in first instance it’s not likely to be a fitting issue.

Reaction score
It has been known yes , hence why a solid bed is best achieved.. on light tiles no matter the biscuit ( body ) , i use white adhesive.
Thnx. Are lines likely to be permanent? Tiles laid 4 weeks ago UFH only hooked up a week or so ago.

Reaction score
new porcelain floor tiles laid 4 weeks ago over new electric heating matts. Heating only connected a week ago and dark lines showing on most tiles?

View attachment 114140
We had a similar issue on a job. We were brought in to investigate for insurance purposes.
1.There was no membrane put down onto the new concrete flooring and the moisture came through from the concrete into the grey adhesive and stained the tiles.
2. The tiles weren't fitted correctly many where dot and dabbed there was actually pools of moisture when we lifted the tile.
3. The tiles where laid onto concrete that was new and hadn't been allowed to cure and dry long enough.
Hope this help

Reaction score
We had a similar issue on a job. We were brought in to investigate for insurance purposes.
1.There was no membrane put down onto the new concrete flooring and the moisture came through from the concrete into the grey adhesive and stained the tiles.
2. The tiles weren't fitted correctly many where dot and dabbed there was actually pools of moisture when we lifted the tile.
3. The tiles where laid onto concrete that was new and hadn't been allowed to cure and dry long enough.
Hope this help
Thanks for that.

the kitchen was extended so part old floor part new, there was a DPM but down on new floor,. New floor was a quick set of about a week, but was left for some 6 weeks before anything went down onto it, however the lines are on tiles on both old and new floor so,fairly sure It’s not the floor. I assume that’s a reasonable assumption?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

the kitchen was extended so part old floor part new, there was a DPM but down on new floor,. New floor was a quick set of about a week, but was left for some 6 weeks before anything went down onto it, however the lines are on tiles on both old and new floor so,fairly sure It’s not the floor. I assume that’s a reasonable assumption?
It’s the adhesive, sorry but simple as that.

Reaction score

View attachment 114140
My guess is that the SLC didn't lose it's required moisture content prior to tiling, and everybody just carried own piling down more stuff and trapping more moisture...
Put a carpet over it,

Reply to Newly laid porcelain floor tiles over UFH, showing lines, in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks