Discuss newbie help urgently in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

jwp20050

Hi all came across this forum on the net when lookinhg for some info so thought this would be the best place to ask my question...

I re tiling a kitchen spash back which stretches across 3 walls underneath cupboards & behind the gas hob, I've stripped off the old tiles off the stud walls and all the grout so they are reasonable and fairly level, in a few places the tiles have taken off some of the paper on the plasterboard & in a couple of other places it has taken the paper off down to the plaster filling, I have tiled one small section off wall which has came out ok and am pleased with the outcome apart from me making the mistake of using unibond all in one adhesive and grout which Ive now realised is fairly diabolical to use.....so I intend to purchase some good quality adhesive to do the remaining walls.

My question is this that do I need to do anything more to the walls in preparation before I tile the rest? as I had a couple of tiles that didn't seem to stick properly when I tiled the small section. and I really want to make a good job of it. what adhesive and grouts are best?

cheers

Jon,

W

White Room

Hi and welcome....get some powdered adhesive, a single part flexible slow set will stick far better but prime the bare gypsum with an acrylic primer...if you have a Tile Giant near you they would point you in the right direction..

Q

Qwerty

Hi Jon. Great advice from whitebeam...... you may wish to opt for Mapei Keraflex Maxi ...a great adhesive for a beginner to use :thumbsup:

Reply to newbie help urgently in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks