Discuss New to tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

actionjoe

It’s not actually resistant as such, just to be pedantic :D
It’s unaffected by water, it passes straight thro and can even sit in water, but it won’t deteriorate, unlike PB.
I know it sounds like I’m being an arse over your wording, but it’s the wording these companies use that lead people to believe their product is waterproof.
One of them used to say ‘impervious to water’
Which conjures up a product in people’s minds that is waterproof.
In actual fact if you look up the word ‘impervious’ it’s secondary meaning is that something is
‘Unaffected by.....,.’
Thanks, yeah I hear what you say and appreciate you being specific. You're not being an arse. If I didn't tank because I thought the Hardie board was sufficient, then I would regret it one day. Prefer to know now! I feel assured that tanking is the right course. I have learnt from this - thanks!

J

JJH1101

Hi all, reading through this with much interest, and i must say admiration at the work standard of actionjoe. I have a question : If cement board is not waterproof and correct installation of showers should include waterproofing, tanking, then is there any point in using the cement board in the first place? Would it not be more economical just to tank onto plasterboard?

A

actionjoe

Hi all, reading through this with much interest, and i must say admiration at the work standard of actionjoe. I have a question : If cement board is not waterproof and correct installation of showers should include waterproofing, tanking, then is there any point in using the cement board in the first place? Would it not be more economical just to tank onto plasterboard?
Thanks! I have been pondering the same thing! What I have concluded is that cement board takes heavier weight, so may need for those purposes. Also, I imagine cement board is more rigid, and so less flexing will occur - perhaps better in a shower?

Either way, I'm not convinced I needed the cement board presently based on my tiles.

Incidentally, I've started tiling now and off to a pretty good start I think. Bought a used bridge saw to help. £50 seemed good to me

A

actionjoe

So, I did end up finishing the en suite some time back, but got busy with other things. Here are some pics from the finished product. I know there are a few things I would do differently in future, but I'm pretty pleased with the outcome.

Warning for anyone out there - applying silicone to a 135 degree angle isn't as easy as a 90 degree. Avoid them if at all possible unless you know what you are doing. I now do!

IMG_20191021_201515.jpg

IMG_20191021_201524.jpg

IMG_20191021_201529.jpg

IMG_20191021_201538.jpg

IMG_20191021_201606.jpg

IMG_20191021_201624.jpg

IMG_20191021_201642.jpg

IMG_20191021_201710.jpg

IMG_20191021_201728.jpg

IMG_20191021_201749.jpg

IMG_20191021_201812.jpg

A

actionjoe

Thanks Tony! I took your advice and used a leveling system.

Yeah, I saw that reflection -trying to keep my arm off the hot radiator! 🔥 :)

Reply to New to tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks