Discuss New to tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

actionjoe

Hi all, I'm new to tiling, but fairly practical. In the process of creating an en suite and wanting to ensure I do it all right - especially the tiling!

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Lou

Admin
Staff member
Esteemed
Reaction score
Welcome to you, we are a friendly bunch here, have you got any photos of your en suite project? We are nosy beggars too!

A

actionjoe

Thanks all. I'm in the process of boarding the walls, so not much else to see. New soil stack, and replacement junction with main sewer due to pipe trying to push water up hill - I know, I live in an area of the country that defies gravity!

Have got hardie backer around the shower and plasterboard elsewhere. No tiles will go on the pocket door wall, as I'm not convinced they will stay on - it seems flimsy. That will just be painted. Will be tanking the shower too, just to be sure, and installing a shower seal. Just don't want it to leak - yes, perhaps over the top, but I like knowing I'm not going to have it come back to bite me.

Tiles will be a 9mm porcelain 300 x 600 from Topps Tiles. By my calcs, the plasterboard will take the 20.2kg tiles per metre and the 4kg grout and adhesive per metre.

Any recommendations on tile spacing? I'm thinking 3mm

IMG_20190718_104951.jpg

IMG_20190718_105002.jpg

IMG_20190718_135117.jpg

IMG_20190718_135207.jpg

IMG_20190718_135442.jpg

IMG_20190718_135455.jpg

IMG_20190718_135557.jpg

IMG_20190718_135626.jpg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi Joe,

Doesn't sound like your going over the top at all, good to see you are taking the precautions. As a general rule of thumb 2mm spacers for walls and 3mm for floors. Don't forget to prime the the surfaces either with a suitable SBR. You may also find it easier to use some type of levelling system if its your first time. Good luck :D

A

actionjoe

Thanks for the support and advice Tony_C. I'll take a look at the leveling systems.

From reading, I gather a 10mm square notched trowel is appropriate for my tiles? I've read a rule of thumb is go off the thickness of the tile (go up to the next size of it is an uneven backing - not the case for me).

O

Old Mod

Hi and welcome to the forum Joe.
Your build looks very tidy.
Just a bit of info on the hadiebacker, it is not waterproof, So it must be tanked.

A

actionjoe

Hi and welcome to the forum Joe.
Your build looks very tidy.
Just a bit of info on the hadiebacker, it is not waterproof, So it must be tanked.
Thanks 3_fall. Yes, I gathered that, although it is a lot more resistant than plasterboard. Seems many people don't bother with tanking around the shower, which made me think I might be over the top - sounds like I'm doing the right thing with tanking then!

Thanks Protiler 68!

O

Old Mod

- sounds like I'm doing the right thing with tanking then!

It’s not actually resistant as such, just to be pedantic :D
It’s unaffected by water, it passes straight thro and can even sit in water, but it won’t deteriorate, unlike PB.
I know it sounds like I’m being an arse over your wording, but it’s the wording these companies use that lead people to believe their product is waterproof.
One of them used to say ‘impervious to water’
Which conjures up a product in people’s minds that is waterproof.
In actual fact if you look up the word ‘impervious’ it’s secondary meaning is that something is
‘Unaffected by.....,.’

Reply to New to tiling in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks