Discuss New screed floor, sealer? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Luggsey

TF
Reaction score
After a total cowboy ripped off my disabled mum and made a huge **** up of her kitchen...non cured floor screed as strong as a sandcastle...self level thrown on top of said sandcastle then tiled on top with predictable results! He had the floor running to the sink by about 50mm over 2 metres, felt like running down a hill!
I have had some time off work to put it right for her, dug out the just laid kitchen tiles and screed and relaid fresh screed today. I used three sharp sand to one cement with accelerator onto bonded sub concrete floor, screed was between 75mm thick and 30mm thick. I'll leave it until next weekend to cure. It's a floated finish and reasonably smoothe, ready for tiles I hope.
Question is should I use any particular product to seal it before tile adhesive or will a strong pva/water be ok?
Part of the job is flying over some pine floor boards and under the appliances is chipboard so a single product suitable for all surfaces is preferable. PVA?
So as to laying the tiles, after reading up it sounds like 12mm trowel to the floor and butter up the backs of the tiles?
Then I have to teach myself grouting, never done that....
Happy days, feel broken after a day screeding and mixing!

O

One Day

Don't use pva! If it's needing sealing to reduce dust and porosity, use sbr or acrylic primer.
Not pva!

J

J Sid

won't even go there with the PVA :(

use a primer recommend by your chosen adhesive company.

what are the tiles

L

LM

Can you post a picture or diagram of the different substrates within the area your planning to tile, this could be and issue!
As said above do not use pva!

Luggsey

TF
Reaction score
I'm not even sure if fresh clean screed needs sealing, that's the first concern really?
I picked up mapei flexible adhesive suitable for wood I thought.
The pine 18mm floor boards have had most of the varnish worn off, the two appliance slots have 18mm chipboard which had adhesive on before but have been cleaned up now.
So not pva then!
Recommend a product tool station stock if you can so I can get it delivered for next weekend please?
I have a Husquvarna 230 coming off eBay for cutting the tiles which are Wickes Ceramic oblong shape. 11mm thick.
Is my idea of 12mm trowel on the floor and buttered up tile correct?
Cheers all.

Reply to New screed floor, sealer? in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks