Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss New or reclaimed Quarry tiles over existing quarry tiles - stay brerathable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

colink

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I think my question has been partly answered by @Andrew near the very end of this thread, but would like to double check and ask an additional question.

I am not a tiler.

Situation (see photo)
100 year old terrace house. Front room appears to have original (or very old) quarry tiles on top of a thin base (not sure what), back room seems to be some form of concrete floor, age unknown.

Area has a high water table and damp floors and damp solid walls are the norm in this area.

We will be applying a chemical or liquid DPC to the walls but do not want to uplift the existing floor, but can increase floor height by around 30mm.

Many posts on this forum discuss various liquid DPM to be applied to floors, but in some threads (like one @Andrew contributed to above) someone gives warning about the need to keep the floor breathable.

This seems like a sensible way to proceed.

My proposed solution:
Lay new or reclaimed Quarry Tiles over the existing floor using some form of breathable mortar eg Hourdex.

We will also fit some form of re-circulating air system to extract dampness from the air.

I would appreciate comments on this or alternative solutions.

Any possible issues I have not considered.

Assuming we will be removing some plaster at bottom of all walls to apply DPC, is there any specific thing we should do when tile up to the wall - before or after we replaster and add skirting board?

Tile sealer?
Obviously we do not want to completely seal the tiles. What should we apply to the tiles to minimize effects of liquid spills and to help maintain the surface.

tiled-floor2.jpg

T

Time's Ran Out

Have you considered DITRA matting?
I’am sure it has all the properties you are after in 1 product.
Ask schluter technical.

D

Dumbo

We are not damp proofing experts , I suggest you talk to your damp proofing contractor telling them that you want to tile floor and ask them what steps they would take in preparing this for the work you have planned .

J

Just Rizzle

i would use bal bone flex which is a breathable membrain decoupler and tilemaster seta flex. the mat dose not need glue ing to the floor see BAL bone flex on web site

Reply to New or reclaimed Quarry tiles over existing quarry tiles - stay brerathable? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock