Discuss New Home shower floor not sloped properly, tile company wants to tile over bad slope in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hello,

Bought a new construction home in January 2019 in Orlando. After living in the house for about 6 months, I realized that my master bathroom shower floor was not draining properly. Started seeing discoloration, and mildew around all the areas that were not draining properly. The shower is a "step down" and it has two levels, one drops about 2 inches, the next another 2 inches. I notified my warranty department before my warranty ended, and in seconds, my warranty rep saw the bullnose was stopping water draining from the first step down, and could see discoloration in all corners if the main shower pan. Mildew has been growing fast as well.

The tile company received the request, and without much argument agreed it could and should be fixed (My warranty rep took a picture of the bullnose being too high, and the 24hr+ stagnant water in corners). The solution they provided? Tile over the existing, and fix the slope with a new layer, and that I was responsible for proper cleaning of the mildew ahead of time.

I argued a few items, such as---the mold/mildew problem is likely not only on the "top", but seeps in through the grout and tile as they don't make up a proper waterproof barrier, and that additionally we couldn't tell how much stagnant water is sitting below the tile that didn't drain. There solution, is they will caulk all sides of the shower floor after the new layer is put down. (Which then is something I must maintain, on a newly placed shower pan that cost me extra as an upgrade to this house)

This isn't setting well with me, because to me, this should be ripped up and redone. They failed the first time, they just don't want to invest in the repair. They said that this is acceptable and provided a tile association reference to tile over tile being acceptable.

My warranty guy said that this was the standard practice he has seen, to resolve these kinds of issues--but I seriously think this is not a proper fix.
I don't know what to do, but I feel this eventually becomes a health concern if the mildew isn't cleaned well (which is my problem) and have no clue what is going on along the grout or under the tile. I just think that the vendor doesn't want to do this properly

Any suggestions? Or perhaps my perspective is wrong? Guidance?

Thank you!

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
There is a code for proper slope to drain, sounds like they didn't adhere to that. Should be redone. Yes, you can install new tile over existing tile, but this wouldn't be one of those times.

Reaction score
Thanks. Anything you think I can say to prove it's not the proper way to repair? Because they keep referring to it being acceptable, my builder doesnt know how to argue it with them. And even my builder states it's how this compa t usually fixes this problem, though it will have zero warranty after it's done.

They refer to the tile association as proof it's acceptable solution to slope issues.

There is a code for proper slope to drain, sounds like they didn't adhere to that. Should be redone. Yes, you can install new tile over existing tile, but this wouldn't be one of those times.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The code is 1/4" per foot slope to drain. Its in the TCNA handbook as well. Funny how they point to one section but forget the other existed. Everyone is just trying to get away from your job as cheaply as possible. Not sure what state you are in, but i have to have a license, bond, and insurance. Sometimes thats a customers only way to resolve an issue. Pictures always help.

Reaction score
I have attached threeimages. I ran a level across the step down, the bubble is dead level from the far corner to the bull nose, no matter where I check. In one area, it actually slopes back to the corner.

You can also see the mildewing, and some darker tile in the corners, where the water is stagnant.

Ultimately, I have to argue with the (large) tile company, through my home builder warranty rep, in hopes they do this right--so any assistance in what to say, or refer too, is always appreciated.

If more pictures are needed, please let me know.

Attachments

• 20200308_170925.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 29
  • 20200308_171513.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 20200308_170944.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 29

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
All in all looks like pretty poor work. Almost looks like the drain is above the tile but hard to tell for sure. Not sure what the laws in FL are as far as your recourse, but just tiling over this mess only fixes it long enough for the ink to dry on you accepting the work and voiding your warranty. Not to dissuade you from posting in this forum, but one based in the US like John Bridge Forum might get you more responses and people with local knowledge.

T

Time's Ran Out

FC084E3C-B550-4468-B824-92F727F6A756.png I would have them clean the walls and floor or pay for a cleaning company to do it first. Then they could tile on tile to achieve the slopes.
The wall joints are out by at least 10mm and the wall grout lines are showing mildew staining which may be associated with a lack of ventilation!
John

Reply to New Home shower floor not sloped properly, tile company wants to tile over bad slope in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks