Discuss New here and asking for some expert opinion. Tiler charging extra :( in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

tuthai

Hi guys,

My builder is just about finishing a retile of my two bathrooms. He's laid 24 square metres of 10cm x 10cm tumbled marble with 17 square metres of bull nose dado. He's done a great job.

However he's now asking an extra £xx because I asked him to tile in a diamond pattern above the dado rail.

For both bathrooms this adds up to an area of 4.39 metres square in a diamond pattern but he claims that to create this diamond pattern has taken an extra weeks work.

This seems ridiculous and calculates to £xx per square metre extra ontop of the money I've already paid to have them tiled anyway. It'd be over £xx square metre if I combined the quote cost and extra cost.

In real terms 62 tiles have been cut in half to form the edges and the rest just rotated 45 degrees. Is that worth £xx extra? Is there much more time involved? An extra week?

When I specified the diamond pattern nothing was mentioned about an increase in cost or difficulty and had I know it was going to be such an increase I would have just kept the tiles horizontal.

Putting aside that I didn't authorise the increased cost, I've built a good relationship with him (so I thought) and would like to use him again on other projects in the future. I don't wish to fall out but is he justified to ask for more or is he just trying it on?

Thanks. Appreciate your comments.

Bathroom 1 and 2 below:

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Gazzer

Re: New here and asking for some expert opinion. Tiler charging extra

An extra week?? you are joking? maybe an hour maybe two is nearer.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score

I can't see how much he is asking for. However assuming its a crazy amount is tell him to jog on as he didn't say it would be extra !

G

Gazzer

We dont allow prices in the open forums but it was an extortionate amount. In terms of time over normal tiling it would have taken longer but not 1 week...maybe an hour or 2 for fixing and even if you said 2 hours for cutting that is still only half a day.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Definitely half a day max. How long has it taken him to do it?

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score

There's no way he's spent an extra week to just do that surely?? Diamond ia s little more taxing but not much. Looks like it was set out in a simpler way as well but not cutting to the ceiling.
Sometimes jobs entail extras, odds and ends etc. Is what he's charging (and/or the time for the extra weeks labour) just to fix the diamond pattern or did he do any other extras?

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score

and i would also be concerned as to why the joints dont pick up in the corners,not in joint,or am i missing something here

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score

and i would also be concerned as to why the joints dont pick up in the corners,not in joint,or am i missing something here
I thought that, the back wall has been centred, always better to wrap the cuts if the walls allow

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

if the original spec wasnt diamond set then he can change his estimate if it took him longer however i would imagine if its an outrageous price that its questionable a weeks wages is too much imo for what has been done extra maybe best speaking to him about it and agreeing an amicable price

C

Colour Republic

As I said before tuthai, the extra he is charging you for the dismond set is way over the top and it seems these guys agree. My fear is that he initially under priced this job, then whacked you for extras regarding the plastering you mentioned elsewhere and then has hit you again for the diamond set. All told and the overall price you mentioned is very expensive.

D

DHTiling

What has happened to the wrap effect on the return walls , that looks hideous IMHO.

Sorry to be abrupt but that stands out like sore thumb.

As for the pricing, any increase should be discussed before commencing.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score

i agree with dave them cuts into the corners not wrapping around would drive me mad looking at , spoils the job imo

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

so how long did the whole job take him, and how long did he say it would take him when he quoted the job, and was the diamond set the only change/extra to the quote..

Houston

TF
Arms
Reaction score

as above, if your not going to follow the diamond round, he should have put a border around the perimeter of the diamond on each wall, it would look 100% better

I

ian158

He's a builder not a tiler...you can tell as the joints don't match in the corners..so im guessing it took him longer because he's not a tiler ?..but thats not your problem..its his, and he should have said it will be extra, therefore you don't owe him anything..however it is extra work so give him a drink.

Reply to New here and asking for some expert opinion. Tiler charging extra :( in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks