Discuss New bathroom install, questionable tiling, advice needed! in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

R

Robbb

Hi all,

After saving and saving and finally getting our new bathroom installed were not too happy with the finish of the tiling. I’ve signed up here to get some advice.

Is this a poor finish? Looks bad to me and I’d expect better. Am I have expecting too much?

I’d estimate 10 tiles have cuts similar to these (although these are the worst).

Would this be easy to resolve? My fitter subbed the work out to a tiler, so am in contact with him directly but waiting for him to reply.

Cheers
Rob

44F2A551-72F0-4208-ADD1-DF058BC35626.jpeg D381030D-69E6-4A06-A7D9-ABAE67A9A19B.jpeg B45FB120-87E1-4783-8C9E-BD65884BBF1D.jpeg 13FE59C6-E89A-46EA-846F-683AC7D8FD8F.jpeg

F

Flintstone

I think we know the answer rob. Very poor cuts! Lots of chipping. Probably used a poor cutter or blade. Poor finish with the trims too

T

Time's Ran Out

Yes you need to get your fitter to liaise with the ‘tiler’ - he subcontracted so he’s responsible for the overall job.
It’s NOT an acceptable finish and yes they need replacing. If his dry cutter is producing chipped edges like that then he’d need to wet cut them. Also his trim needs mitring at the corners and evenly cut.
Unfortunately if this is his offering at an important point in the room it doesn’t bode well for what’s behind or not in view!
Good luck and let’s hope the fitter is a decent tradesman.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I don't like to slag off other peoples work but there is zero attention to detail. There is lippage and the way the trim meets up is appalling. I don't have to mention the badly cut tiles as they stand out a mile.

This workmanship is not acceptable and it will need to be ripped out.

I am anal about trims meeting. I use gaffa tape to keep them in place. I stroke each tile for lippage before I walk away. Sometimes a tile will move during the drying process and it must be changed the following day. I do not want a customer to be dissatisfied with my work and I definitely do not want the embarrassment of having to go back to rectify.

Speak to the builder and ask him would he be satisfied. If he says 'Yes', then he does not get paid.

R

Robbb

I don't like to slag off other peoples work but there is zero attention to detail. There is lippage and the way the trim meets up is appalling. I don't have to mention the badly cut tiles as they stand out a mile.

This workmanship is not acceptable and it will need to be ripped out.

I am anal about trims meeting. I use gaffa tape to keep them in place. I stroke each tile for lippage before I walk away. Sometimes a tile will move during the drying process and it must be changed the following day. I do not want a customer to be dissatisfied with my work and I definitely do not want the embarrassment of having to go back to rectify.

Speak to the builder and ask him would he be satisfied. If he says 'Yes', then he does not get paid.

Thank you. I’m so annoyed!

R

Robbb

I’ve been onto the fitter who has been really helpful, he’s going to replace everything that we are not happy with and delay his upcoming jobs to get it all sorted.

Thanks for everyone’s help here.

T

Time's Ran Out

I’ve been onto the fitter who has been really helpful, he’s going to replace everything that we are not happy with and delay his upcoming jobs to get it all sorted.

Thanks for everyone’s help here.
Yes you need to get your fitter to liaise with the ‘tiler’ - he subcontracted so he’s responsible for the overall job.
Good luck and let’s hope the fitter is a decent tradesman.
There you go!

R

Robbb

Hi all. Me again. Now I’ve had a chance to do a further inspection I wondered if I’m being too picky on the rest of the job. What do you guys think of the rest of it? There’s a few close ups here of walls and floor.

Problem is I have paid him around 80% of the money already. I’m not really satisfied. He’s coming to look at the stuff I originally posted but haven’t mentioned all of this to him yet.

14B8B4F6-21F0-4D52-99A6-FC231696EE68.jpeg 8D688D27-8814-4FA8-8ADF-1192BDF5DAA6.jpeg 025E97DF-2FA6-471E-B828-9E4074E2D9E1.jpeg 6C7B0E0F-C0C2-4D86-9A6B-6998884FC35A.jpeg 303292A7-6704-44C4-ADB0-40555A1C252C.jpeg 092A544D-1D8C-48A1-AFAA-704D684CD5D1.jpeg B291D7CC-68E4-4271-A469-504D0FA8088E.jpeg 45601EF2-7A51-4817-970A-4523FD08BC29.jpeg F550315A-7D16-4AA8-95AC-73E307B1DD58.jpeg 2690FCD8-78E1-432C-AADB-34E78D6AF6FF.jpeg A1F168D3-B290-44A2-AF41-EBD3677E7408.jpeg

T

Time's Ran Out

It’s poor!
I’d get him to repay you all the money.
20% left won’t even pay for it all to be stripped out.

T

Time's Ran Out

It’s shame and we see a lot of this poor workmanship on here, but at the end of the day you chose this fitter!
Did you not do your homework on him before you placed the contract.
You know from the photos what your not happy with so make a list and confront him.
Good luck!

Reply to New bathroom install, questionable tiling, advice needed! in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
po-tay-toes
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks