Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Never tile over bonding! but are you sure in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

average

TF
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
I have always recommended not tile onto bonding ever since ive been reading it on here and from advice from other tilers. However, i tiled my bathrooms in 2006 and even tiled the slope of my dormer roof in same bathroom. Im in the process of revamping my bathroom and till this day, not one tile has came loose! I also tiled my splashback that was bonded all over to straighten the walls. Again, i have removed these on orders of the wife for a colour change and not one was loose. When tile onto the bonding, i did prime with a tile primer. I will admit, the tiles did come off somewhat easier than when i would removed other tiles from bathrooms but to me, its a case of tile onto bonding isnt as scary as what some say it i. That and dont believe everything you read.

Another thing, i used tubbed addy back then and these tiles have been up for 1 years without any problems.

Why is it the advice given is never to tile onto bonding when clearly, in my case it was ok. I do understand that bonding can suck the moisture out of the addy but surely, if its been primed accordinly then it should be ok.

B

Blunt Tool

Was they small ceramic tiles? Big difference if it was a 600x300x12mm porcelain tile

OP
A

average

TF
Reaction score
Was they small ceramic tiles? Big difference if it was a 600x300x12mm porcelain tile

They where 300x200mm. Think they are 10mm thick. splashback was brick effect and not as thick. I can see what your saying about the big tiles.

One other tiler i know off who has used bonding on splashbacks has said if you tile over the bonding when its firmed up(as they do with skimming over it) then itll be fine. He has did this on numerous occasions and never one call back.

O

One Day

I dare say that a thin ceramic with readymix would be ok, but cement https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ will pull and weaken bonding and with the weight of porcelain, only a fool would risk it.

OP
A

average

TF
Reaction score
I dare say that a thin ceramic with readymix would be ok, but cement https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ will pull and weaken bonding and with the weight of porcelain, only a fool would risk it.

I woldnt risk it now with large tiles. All im saying is that bonding and tile isnt as scary as many say it is. Small spalshbacks and so on would be ok to get away with as long as its primed id say and walls with no big tiles

O

Old Mod

I woldnt risk it now with large tiles. All im saying is that bonding and tile isnt as scary as many say it is. Small spalshbacks and so on would be ok to get away with as long as its primed id say and walls with no big tiles
Gyproc say that it is part one of a two part system and is not suitable to tile.

surely it’s just better to stick to one rule, less confusion all round.

O

One Day

I'd agree with splashbacks. But I wouldn't in a bathroom.
It would have to be primed to saturation and use a ready mix though.
I know it's not right but for a small splashback if you had no time to skim it, I'd do it.

F

Flintstone

I'd agree with splashbacks. But I wouldn't in a bathroom.
It would have to be primed to saturation and use a ready mix though.
I know it's not right but for a small splashback if you had no time to skim it, I'd do it.

You rogue !

O

One Day

That’s owning a Renault! :D
Normally, yes! But I did my research and got the 2.0dci chain driven engine with the Nissan auto box.
It's the only espace which is reliable and so far, so good.
So it's a calculated risk you see? Like tile onto bonding!

O

Old Mod

So it's a calculated risk you see? Like tile onto bonding!

s1834.gif

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's all about experience...!
Should imagine every one of us has pushed the boundarys slightly at one time or another.
But it's having the experience to know when.
However when giving advice on a tile forum, you can only give the correct advice, then it's up to them if they follow it or not..

O

Old Mod

It's all about experience...!
Should imagine every one of us has pushed the boundarys slightly at one time or another.
But it's having the experience to know when.
However when giving advice on a tile forum, you can only give the correct advice, then it's up to them if they follow it or not..
That’s incredibly sensible of you Andrew! :)
Are you ok? :D

Reply to Never tile over bonding! but are you sure in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
flooringdemand
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock