Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Need help with choosing a tile cutter in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hello, I need to tile a bathroom and it's a one off job so the machine needn't be built to last forever. The tiles are 600X300X9mm porcelain but my vitrex tile snapping machine I bought for (£30) only does 500mm long tiles.

I was thinking I probably need a wet saw for difficult cuts e.g. round soil pipe, so this would do for cutting long tiles too and I can use my vitrex snapper for cutting width ways.

Can someone here please recommend a wet saw for the above tiles? I don't have many spare tiles to break, so I need something that will be accurate and safe. Also, I suffer from hand/arm vibration problems so need a machine that vibrates as little as possible (perhaps a superior blade may help?). It's a one off job so I don't want to spend hundreds but I'd prefer a decent machine as possible say upto about £150.

I have seen online the rubi nd180 bl

Also the wickes own brand cheapo machine looks similar in the picture as does the erbauer in screwfix

450W Tile Cutting Saw - Saws - Power Tools -Tools, Electrical & Plumbing - Wickes
Erbauer ERB180C Tile Cutter Chrome Top 230V - Screwfix.com, Where the Trade Buys

also theres the briccolina which looks tiny
I've also seen the Vitrex - QEP Pro-750 for about £100

All but the vitrex look very small in the pictures. Will I have problems cutting 600mm tiles on such a machine? I'd prefer a small portable machine if possible so long as it will cut the tiles well enough. I'm tempted by the wickes at only £35 but surely there must be a catch and a £150 machine must be better?

Would it be better to buy the wickes and put on a better blade e.g.Marcrist CK850 180mm dia... 22.2mm / 25.4 bore at £60 or to buy a rubi and use the standard blade?

Any other suggestions? (I don't want to hire as I am a slow worker and it would cost more)

Thanks in advance

D

diamondtiling

Do your tiles have a rectified edge? You are far better with a dry cutter than using a wet saw on those tiles, unless the blade is high quality you will end up with chipped edges.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Only yesterday I read about a guy who had an 11 year old cutter with a good blade that he kept clean and changed the bearings whenever the cutting pitch changed and suggested they're wearing out. So cheap cutters with good blades are clearly fine.

However the Dewalt 2400 thingy me bob that's in the higher priced range has proven a popular cutter with all the guys that cut on a daily basis. They don't know how they managed without it apparently. :) It's been said loads that has too.

So a bit of a catch 22.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
i would go for the vitrex pro 750 stick a decent blade in it do your job and then stick it on ebay :thumbsup:

OP
B
Reaction score
What is a rectified edge? The edges of the tiles are square not bevelled. Also, Do I need a big table size for 600mm tiles or will a smaller machine suffice?

Reply to Need help with choosing a tile cutter in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock