Discuss need help for painted bathroom in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

brother-chunky

hey guys, just a quick one, got a job coming up and the customer has just got a bath and a bath splash back which is around 3 tiles high, they would like these removing and the tiles extended all the way to the ceiling and they are also having a shower fitting before i tile, my question is, will tanking be enough to seal the area around the bath and shower, the substrate is painted plaster and skim i believe on a new build house. any advice would be awesome.

L

LM

You shouldn't tile on paint at all and what weight are the tiles you intend to use as skim has a weight bearing limit of 20kgs per sqaure metre. A bit more information on your tiles and then we can best advice on how to tackle it :)

B

brother-chunky

You shouldn't tile on paint at all and what weight are the tiles you intend to use as skim has a weight bearing limit of 20kgs per sqaure metre. A bit more information on your tiles and then we can best advice on how to tackle it :)

tiles are 250 x 500 ceramic tiles was thinking of backing board but customer on a budget

O

Old Mod

As above, paint must be removed.
A lot of paint can removed with just a sponge and bucket of water.
If not, sandpaper and water, or even a wallpaper steamer. Careful not to overdo it with steamer tho or you’ll damage the plaster.

F

Flintstone

Tiles will probably be ok if there ceramics and not 10mm thick. As above remove paint, will probably come off very easy if it’s a new build. If it’s an emulsion type paint wet it, if it’s a glossy bathroom paint scrape it dry it might peel in sheets

Reply to need help for painted bathroom in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks