Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss natural slate stone patio laid , grout haze marks on stone in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Laid a natural stone slate patio. Used projoint max expoxy paving grout used it for nearly 2 years. Yet after 6 hours sudden change in weather so went and covered and sheeted over as advised with water proof sheet. Came next morning removed and now got milky epoxy residue haze on stones. Any ideas as i rang manufacturers whos techincal said use white vinegar yeah i know i tried a sample but did nothing on the area although i was reluctant any suggestions job was only done saturday morning want to react quick

20200614_214743.jpg

Reaction score
I'd get a nylon brush attachment for a hand drill, will try to attach a pic or link... if epoxy maybe use acetone? Does evaporate pretty quick though. Test on a off cut or area out of sight first. Shouldn't harm the slate.
Toolstream_395024_1.jpg

[automerge]1592426119[/automerge]
... pretty certain toolstation stock them :thumbsup:

OP
M
Reaction score
I'd get a nylon brush attachment for a hand drill, will try to attach a pic or link... if epoxy maybe use acetone? Does evaporate pretty quick though. Test on a off cut or area out of sight first. Shouldn't harm the slate. View attachment 112748
I will try anything any help appreciated will acetone be alright on natural slate stone you think ?

OP
M
Reaction score
It doesn’t look like grout haze to me.
Is there a salt formation on the surface, does it cone off onto your fingers when you rub it. ?
We used the projoint max epoxy grout you can use in light rain it said weather forcast was fine so did it 6 hrs later on the evening weather suddenly changed unexpected and not indicated it advised in heavy rain to cover up so we completely covered at 10pm and 9 am nect morning removed covers. The manufacturer said yesterday its known as white blooming which is rare but dont seem to care said it could be from moisture they really dont know and have suggested to try LTP solvex as vinegar hasnt worked they dont seem to know and are not returning our calls all instructions were followed correctly i will check today about the salt question and post back thank you. Tried ecoprotec yesterday thats done nothing either was also told to try that. Rather concerned at the min.

OP
M
Reaction score
I will try anything any help appreciated will acetone be alright on natural slate stone you think ?
Apologies its natural indian stone not slate
[automerge]1592480830[/automerge]
It doesn’t look like grout haze to me.
Is there a salt formation on the surface, does it cone off onto your fingers when you rub it. ?
Also my mistake its natural indian stone not slate
[automerge]1592480895[/automerge]
I'd get a nylon brush attachment for a hand drill, will try to attach a pic or link... if epoxy maybe use acetone? Does evaporate pretty quick though. Test on a off cut or area out of sight first. Shouldn't harm the slate. View attachment 112748
Apologies brush great idea doing that the stone is not slate its natural indian stone

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We used the projoint max epoxy grout you can use in light rain it said weather forcast was fine so did it 6 hrs later on the evening weather suddenly changed unexpected and not indicated it advised in heavy rain to cover up so we completely covered at 10pm and 9 am nect morning removed covers. The manufacturer said yesterday its known as white blooming which is rare but dont seem to care said it could be from moisture they really dont know and have suggested to try LTP solvex as vinegar hasnt worked they dont seem to know and are not returning our calls all instructions were followed correctly i will check today about the salt question and post back thank you. Tried ecoprotec yesterday thats done nothing either was also told to try that. Rather concerned at the min.

Blooming will happen if water is in the stone and sealing was carried out before fully dry.

OP
M
Reaction score
You need to strip the sealer , leave to fully dry abd seal again. Then don’t let it get wet for 72hrs.
How can i strip it we hace tried numerous suggestions nothing is doing it. I tried as advised on here acetone. I tried thinners . I tried ecoprotec. I tried LTP solvex. I tried vinegar. I tried cif. I have tried nylon brush on drill like advised. Spoke to many people suggesting all the above what do you recommend to remove it. Looks like moisture has come out of the grout made contact with the covering PVC sheet and and run down into the natural Indian stone it is not slate and nothing seems to be shifting it

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
How can i strip it we hace tried numerous suggestions nothing is doing it. I tried as advised on here acetone. I tried thinners . I tried ecoprotec. I tried LTP solvex. I tried vinegar. I tried cif. I have tried nylon brush on drill like advised. Spoke to many people suggesting all the above what do you recommend to remove it. Looks like moisture has come out of the grout made contact with the covering PVC sheet and and run down into the natural Indian stone it is not slate and nothing seems to be shifting it

@Lithofin BOB any ideas mate.

OP
M
Reaction score
Also if you scratch your finger nail on it seems to spread in the stone yet leave a small white/grey flour/dust type texture on your finger take sa lot of work to scratch at it on a little cm spot and just spreads further more than anything seems on the stone if i cant come up with some ideas im gonna have to rip the patio up and relay the whole lot costing around 5 grand any posts welcome please as i have not received that many comments on it im open to ideas as its just awful all over the patio. I think 1 lesson learnt next time i will just grout a small area at a time as i got it all done in a day and have always used this and never had a problem its deffinately down to covering it up like the manufacturer suggests if unexpected weather change. I spoke to the manufacturer they said you did the right thing covering it up and now this. If i knew a company who could come in and sort it i would pay them to remove it if i knew they could succeed. On the day i checked all weather reports was fine and 6 hours after i finished a sudden change in the wether with no sign of it til then so i had.no choice but to protect grout and joints very frustrated any help and expertise greatly appreciated

Reply to natural slate stone patio laid , grout haze marks on stone in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock