Discuss MyBuilder, CheckaTrade, or Yell? - Which is best? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score

I asked on the sparky forum which is best, and included a poll to vote on (God we love a good vote it seems us lot eh?! [brexit?! ha]).

Seems there are some very different feelings about such websites.

What's your view? You ever listed your own tiling business on one? Had any joy?

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The ones I have used charge you for the pleasure of visiting a tire kicker just looking for numbers. Never again.

Reaction score
I have used rated people in the past but don’t think I will again as you buy leads some appear to be fake and the ones I did get mostly wanted something for nothing

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thinking about this more really makes me mad. I am not sure how it works for you guys, but they have advertising on the TV here talking about how their contractor walked the dog because they were running late. Winds me up good. Hey, I might leave early today as I need that area to set up, can I wash your car for a good review....**** off.

Reaction score
Haven't used any of those listed, I'm grateful that I no longer have to advertise (have a website but I don't pay for web traffic) when I did advertise it was in the local paper and yellow pages. Now like everything else, everyone searches online. But times are the same, people just want the cheapest quote. Used to spend a lot of time quoting and not getting jobs. If I had to pick one of the above I'd check reviews first. Have heard some bad stuff about Checkatrade would post a link but it might get removed?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
yell.com have been very good for me over the years...
used to it's full potential, with plenty of 5 star reviews from loyal customers brings me plenty of work...

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
yell.com have been very good for me over the years...
used to it's full potential, with plenty of 5 star reviews from loyal customers brings me plenty of work...
Is it the fact it is ranking for your business in your area that it works then? How do they find it?

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'm listed on the Topps Tiles 'find a tiler' page.
The first question I now have to ask potential customers is 'Where do you live?'. As three Topps Tiles web users who have rung me thinking I will give them a quote have lived many many miles from where I live/work.

One lady lived in Ireland (400 miles away)
One man lived Peterborough (83 miles away)
One lady lived in Worthing (70 miles away)

I set up a dummy account on my workman.com and get the odd job here and there. The problem is that they are 'odd' jobs miles away from where I live. Written in pigeon English with virtually no description of the job.

These are examples of job that have been sent to me..........(cut'n'pasted)

Description: Small wet room, partially tialed, needs wall by sink behind closet and other, to be tialled, total area about 5 square meters.

Description: The wall is 7.6 sq. M in area.
I would like 48cm x 33cm bevelled mirror tiles set over the whole wall, floor to ceiling

Description: 1 wall and some side part of wall put mosiaq tiling

Description: 6 square metres in shower area and 2 square metres of floor tiles in bathroom

Description: Remove old and replace with new

Description: lay tiles in kitchen and grout them

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is it the fact it is ranking for your business in your area that it works then? How do they find it?
if you Google 'tilers in Gloucester, Cheltenham or Stroud.' which are the 3 main areas I work.
yell.com is near the top search, click on it and I'm the first tiler you will see.
I have plenty of good reviews which customer seem to search for, and rely on.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Do you guys over there have a trade association that lists you on there website, or listings from manufacturers that you have certificates or training from? I've received jobs through those sorts of searchers by customers and there was no effort on mypart aside from the training or certification I received while bettering my skills.

Reply to MyBuilder, CheckaTrade, or Yell? - Which is best? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks