Discuss Mozaic tiles - wet rooms in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Canyondust

Hello.
I am looking to fit mozaic tiles onto a wall as a feature within a shower area and also onto a wetroom tray (all the same tiles)
During the choosing stage I come across tiles which do not look suitable from anow Engineering perspective (such as the split tiles, or small mosaics and the load associated onto the wet tray - although one imagines as they become very small this isn't still true). Anyway would you be able to suggest some direction as to what types to aim for or alternatively avoid?

Very best
James.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

MTiler

Are you getting a tiler to install the mosaics? They should be able to advise you.
What make is the shower tray? Some arent suitable for mosaics under 30mm, but some will take mosaics that are 20mm or smaller if theyre square edged.

C

Canyondust

Hello MissTiler

It's a WetBase from Wetrooms.
I will be doing the tiling.

I had read similar about some tray designs and sizes ( although I would imagine if the size gets rather small then it would be hard to load a single tile) but hadn't spotted a specific value for this tray type.

I had thought about any issues of tile material types, thicknesses etc.

All the best
James

M

MTiler

With small mosaics you can get point loading, their website says you can use mosaics but it doesnt give a minimum size, I would call them to check. Ive seen point loading damage on preformed bases.
If youve never worked with mosaics before youre better of getting in a tiler who has, theyre not cheap (even at the lower end) and are easy to mess up.

C

Canyondust

Thanks MissTiler

Sure I'll ask wetrooms if they have a specification.

As for the tiles, do you have any advice on materials, say ceramic, marble etc.

I haven't tiled a preformed deck before but my limited tiling of mosaics (none very small and all with added backer) isn't helping choose a product suitable.

Regards
James.

C

Canyondust

Update.
Wetrooms response is to use a tile of no less than 1.5" sides, but no indication of material, thickness.

M

MTiler

so thats 40mm wide?
Waxmans, Domus, Topps and Original Style etc. do larger mosaics, in various materials. Youll be better off getting mesh backed mosaics

C

Canyondust

Hi.

They have suggested >5mm thickness.
What material of tiles should I look for or avoid?

Regards
James

C

Canyondust

So any material will do ? (Stone to be sealed ) ?
I was thinking about things such as.

Water absorption
Breaking strength
surface abrasion being on a shower floor.
Ability to cope with rapid heat changes
Stain resisrance
Mould issues

I understand there is some sort of class rating for tiles which is wear related possibly ?

Maybe any type will be fine but as we are at the choosing stage it would be great to get the most suitable.

All the best
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Q

Qwerty

Waxman are pretty good to be fair, porcelain, slip resistant option, mesh backed and thin.

M

MTiler

Are you talking about a domestic or commercial room? Tiles do have anti slip ratings but you can get that information, and other, from the spec sheet for the tiles on the suppliers/manufacturers website.

C

Canyondust

The room is a family bathroom.

I may have been thinking of grades for ceramics or PEI rating - I just thought I saw something about suitability of foot traffic etc.

Waxman I will take a look at - I note they are based within a few miles of me.

Very best
James

Reply to Mozaic tiles - wet rooms in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks