Discuss Movement Joint?? in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Got a job coming up soon where they have built a new extension to the existing kitchen. The floor will be tiled throughout the existing kitchen and the new extension using large format porcelain tiles. The floor to the new extension has been screeded upto the same height of the existing kitchen floor which is a solid floor. Would I need to have a movement joint between the two rooms? Thanks Ross :thumbsup:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Yes ...... :)

Reaction score
If I manage to set floor so the grout joint runs over where the two floors meet, can I just run silicone instead of grout?

O

ozboz

Hi, it may be better to put a proper expansion strip between the two, I have seen a lot of damage/chipping to the tile edges where silicone has been used, there are matching colours so it blends in quite well, Ok mate Steve aka ozboz

Reaction score
If my customer isn't happy having a movement joint in the installation is it possible to cover the whole floor with a decoupling membrane and then not using a movement joint. Am I right in thinking this?? :thumbsup:

A

Aston

you still need a movement joint mate..people often think that a decoupling membrane is an alternative, it aint.
building settlement/movement is different than lateral expanison & contraction..

cheers ed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

HI..

It isn't a case of suggesting that one is needed.. You just say that you are going to install one to conform to bs5385 and that it goes right above the break in substrate and that the choice of expansion joint is then down to them.. cold joint or preformed..

never say well it would err maybe be better.. as then it gives the opportunity to say NO..

IMO a cold joint in domestic installations does blend in better..

R

Rob Z

If my customer isn't happy having a movement joint in the installation is it possible to cover the whole floor with a decoupling membrane and then not using a movement joint. Am I right in thinking this?? :thumbsup:

Whenever I have a customer that is balking at this, I try to defuse the issue with a bit of discussion. I ask them to think about the tug-of-war between the new addition/substrate and the existing house/substrate. They usually will realize that these sections of the house are moving independently, even if only slightly. Then I ask if they think their brittle and thin ceramic or stone tiles will be able to withstand the movement of an entire section of the house. At this point they usually intuitively realize that "something" might happen, even if they don't know what that something will be.

I usually luck out and am able to find a section of sidewalk or driveway in front of their house that has cracks where the sections of concrete meet at right angles,or for sections that should have had a soft joint and none was placed there. THis really helps to show a homeowner for the need to do it right with their tile or stone. They will admit that if even concrete will crack , then their tiles will have problems.

I usually get my way when I want to put in a soft joint.:thumbsup:

Reply to Movement Joint?? in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks