Discuss Mosaic woes in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Goblin

-
Reaction score
Hello tilers,
I’m after some advice. I started doing a mosaic during lockdown, spent two days laying out and then sticking over 3000 little tiles to some board. I bought some burgundy grout pigment and grouted the thing. The grout dried a crappy light plum colour and I managed to sand a lot of it out with wire wool (for some reason the grout took ages to set so this was quite easy). I next decided to use black grout and would paint over it to achieve the colour I wanted, I put the black grout on but oh my, it set so much quicker than the other one I used - I spent the day trying to sand it down a bit but it has fully set.
Now I have a fairly uneven mosaic, some bits are not too bad but I’ve got some tiles still fully submerged in grout - I picked up a wire brush as I thought that would be good enough to get rid of the extra grout but no, that seems to be just buffing the grout and now some of it is shiny 😂
So yes, I feel like the universe doesn’t want me to finish this thing but I just need to. My question is what should I do next? I’m thinking maybe a handheld sander thing? Or is there some bad *** chemical I can use? Any advice much appreciated, thanks
DD824D61-5F81-42C1-A04C-6F1F810E180D.jpeg
2FD686A5-8BFC-418A-8743-06785FE27396.jpeg
EE8E20B7-6A99-44F9-988F-74A9E8CF69E1.jpeg
D0E01AD0-9E5F-4C17-AFBA-5237D15CC336.jpeg
0885FEC6-AE10-4E75-B096-E631DE3FD160.jpeg

Tony_C

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
You could try some adhesive/grout remover and an emulsifying pad but it will be hard to stop it eating into all that surrounding grout. Might take a while. Start off with it diluted

Reply to Mosaic woes in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
andymtl24
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks