• Thanks for visiting TilersForums.com, the Tile Advice Forum. It's free to join if you'd like to register and ask a question should you not be able to search for your answers already. :)
uHeat Official Forum Sponsor for Underfloor Heating (Electric and Wet)
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Mosaic tile not sticking! in the American Tile Setters Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

Reactions
What member type are you?
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler, Bathroom Fitter, Kitchen Fitter
Never had this happen before. Customer ordered mosaic tile. Traditional black and white checkerboard with 1" tiles. They are very thin, but packing says "for floors and walls". Mesh on back is quite dense. The mesh is bonding with the Mapei adhesive, but once dry, the tiles pop off! We have 3 more bathrooms to do after this one with the same tile. I think the backing and it's glue are the issues, but what can I do about it?

The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor

Plan Tec Tiling

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
14,508 49
Have you tried giving the back of the sheets a light skim with the adhesive also? Are you bedding the sheets down into the adhesive so the adhesive pushes up through the mesh slightly to make contact with the mosaic?
Any pics?

Joshjupp

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Advent Win
Reactions
239 4
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler
Could try skimming back of the mosaics I used biogel last time I done mosaics stuck solid maybe you need to push the mosaics in harder with a grout float

MissTiler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reactions
1,210 3
the adhesive is probably making the glue 'live' so tesserae are coming loose before it all dries. Try a rapid set or epoxy adhesive.

Reactions
Professional Wall and Floor Tiler, Bathroom Fitter, Kitchen Fitter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the adhesive is probably making the glue 'live' so tesserae are coming loose before it all dries. Try a rapid set or epoxy adhesive.
Will do! Thanks for the advice.

Dan

JOTM Winner

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reactions
5,743 30
DIY Wall and Floor Tiler
Give us an update once youve sorted it please?

Reply to Mosaic tile not sticking! in the American Tile Setters Advice Forum area at TilersForums.com

New Threads (Sitewide)

The Wetroom Store - TilersForums.com Sponsor
Top Bottom

Use TilersForums.com to find Tiling Jobs or your Local Tilers for free. Get tiling tools at the best prices via the forum.