Discuss More advice please on courses in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

Paul

Hi lads firstly can i say how much help this forum is, a big thanks to the moderators who make it happen

Im 35 yrs old and im qualified as a printer but i feel i need a change of direction i want to work for myself in the long term, my plan is to stay where i am for the foreseeable future (mortgage commitments etc i need to work)and to use my afternoons and weekends to build up my tiling skills ive no real experience in tiling but took days off work recently by doing 3 labour days for free for my bro in laws mate

ive been looking at this forum and reading many comments for a while now and after many a searching ive now narrowed it down to 2 courses that im interested in

one is chase tiling
one is Nett

I know everyone is raving about Nett and they sound very in depth its further away as im in Leicestershire and will 4 days do the same at £450 as Chase is 5 days and 10 days for £850 ??

Chase is closer about 45 mins away and i could travel daily

D

Dean W

They both appear as good as each other and are on my choice list as well. Chas obviously suits you best for ease and will save you the expense of hotels etc

B

brian c

i can only speak for NETT as i did this course and you will not be disappointed if you choose this course.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
oOOOoooo That's a tricky one. Both have plenty of good feedback. Both are good courses. I'll stay out of this one :p

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
You will actualy do 5 more hours training on our 4 day course than anyone elses
5 day course. Our course starts at 8.45 - 6.30 over 4 days = 39 hours.

Other courses
8.45 - 4.30 over 4 days plus 8.45 - 12pm 0n a Friday = 34 hours

P

Paul Martin

Hi Paul,

With only 45 mins travel to your local training centre your problably going to go with them rather than travel up North.

Having completed the NETT course in April this year, with NETT only being 20 mins travel for me, I understand the questioning of the course and the additional travel costs etc. . .

I can only say the additional travel costs will be worth while. You will not be disapointed and will come away not only with the practical skills, but will also be provided with a lot of sound business acumen which is also essential and enable you to have that edge over your competion. . .

regards,
PM

P

Paul

Hi lads

thanks for the advice and comments im going to continue saving the cash until i get closer and then make a decision on what to do

A question to Paul martin how did you get on with the training in April and did you go straight into working for yourself ?

C

CLAYS TILES

i did my course near me in telford,that was a weeks course for £325,that was 18 months ago!
but i hear good things about the 2 mentioned above! i'm not knocking the course i did as i learnt alot,but i hear chase cover ALL types of tile & addy etc. we only ran through stuff but they did offer a 2 week course to go into more aspects!
I guess wot i'm trying to say is you get wot you pay for!!

Y

Yorkie

You will actualy do 5 more hours training on our 4 day course than anyone elses
5 day course. Our course starts at 8.45 - 6.30 over 4 days = 39 hours.

Other courses
8.45 - 4.30 over 4 days plus 8.45 - 12pm 0n a Friday = 34 hours

Not entirley correct Darren as our 5 day course times are:

Mon -Thur 8am - 5:30 = 38
Fri 8am - 2pm = 6

Total 44 learning hours,
Not trying to take your glory or anything but just thought i'd mention it:grin:

G

graham31

Hi Paul i'm going on the NETT course on he 1st Sept but it's taken me 9months or so to do something about it.Got advice on hear Brian C has advised me a few times and gave me a tool list twice so you will get loads of help.Just don't drag it out the longer you think about it the hard it is to take the jump.Once you have the money just go for it don't sit about on your a**e like i did make the change.

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi Kenny (diamond) was talking about the majority of courses, i know your course is longer than most as well, just wanted people to know the value of tuition we give on a shorter course

P

Paul Martin

Hi Paul,

The course was spot on and just what you'd be looking for. It is hard graft
and fast paced.
Out of a class of 15 I was one of 5 who were living local, the rest had travelled from the four corners of the country, most were very dubious at first, that the distance travelled was gonna be worth it, but by the end of the course they were all well impressed with what they had learned.

NETT offer a 5th day specific for Natural stone installations and those that had not booked it were gutted that they hadnt. I did, and it was well worth paying the xtra.

After the course I through myself right into starting my own business, got a new 1.6 Citroen dispatch van, had it badged up with my company name, bought a shed load of tools and got out there. I have to say it has been very slow with the odd job here and there and just breaking even but, I know Iam not alone there in this current climate. The work is starting to pick up a little now and I am gaining more confidence with each job.

Got two jobs from Morrisons car park - customers saw van took the phone number and called me so have covered the cost of the logo. . . and proves it is worth it having your name on the van.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

Good luck
PM

UKTT Darren

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Subscribed
Reaction score
These times come and go, every business i talk to is down in £££££££ at the moment, down to consumer insecurity, i have been self employed for 22 years now and seen it before many times, things will get better, just got to ride with the econemy at the moment and be ready when the upturn comes as when people get the confidence back they all start spending like crazy
Regards
Darren

beanz

TF
Reaction score
Paul (Martin), did you do the 4 or 8 day course? Just wondering, as this is the 1st course i've seen to offer a pro level in 4 days. Most seem to want you there for 2-4 weeks, and your entire savings! :grin:

P

Paul

Thats great for you paul im glad things are working out for you, i ve been looking at Nett and chase again and reading all the advice up and down the forum im still saving the cash at the moment and working o/t to get my money together to go,

Im not short on graft whatsoever but nervous about spending all the cash and missing out on important info as its so intense and fast paced in such a short period of time (4days,Nett) will i keep up enough !!!, lol

Reply to More advice please on courses in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
alangk85
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks