Discuss Miss Coat on walls in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
hi

started tiling as a career a year or so ago now and have found this forum a lot of help very informative

i have a kitchen splash back to do in a couple of weeks. the customer had already put a miss coat on the walls before looking at the job as its a new extension they wasnt sure whether to tile or upstand the kitchen but now want to go ahead with tiling. now i know tiling onto a painted surface is not the one and am i right in thinking this rule still applys for a miss coat?

do i need to try and remove as much of this miss coat as possible and then prime the wall prior to tiling?

thanks in advance

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Who is Miss Coat? Ha ha! You mean 'mist'.

You are correct, you need to remove this paint mechanically. Try using a really cheap flexible scraper (you can get 3 for a pound at the £ shop). I find that those bladed scrapers dig into the plaster.

On one occasion my customer was an artist and he had loads of sticky backed plastic. We put it on the wall and ripped it off a few mins later......it worked, but it was expensive plastic.

Then prime with SBR and tile.

Reaction score
Who is Miss Coat? Ha ha! You mean 'mist'.

You are correct, you need to remove this paint mechanically. Try using a really cheap flexible scraper (you can get 3 for a pound at the £ shop). I find that those bladed scrapers dig into the plaster.

On one occasion my customer was an artist and he had loads of sticky backed plastic. We put it on the wall and ripped it off a few mins later......it worked, but it was expensive plastic.

Then prime with SBR and tile.

Haha typo my bad

thanks for reply thought this would be the case i have plenty of the decorators scrapers so will score and remove

L

LM

Most mist coats can be washed off with a sponge and warm water which is much easier imo.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Try using a wallpaper stripper, be careful not to damage the plaster skim when scraping as if you do I believe this would be worse than tiling over the mist coat.

Reply to Miss Coat on walls in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alex Carr
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks