Discuss mirror tiles in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mattyh

hi all ,

I have a kitchen to tile with 200x70mm mirror wall tiles , any thoughts on the best adhesive and grout to use ? is there a special adhesive ?
Also the tiles are only about 2mm thick on the edges and only had a quick look but the smallest chrome trim is 6mm , how can i get around this ??? cheers

D

DHTiling

As in mirror.. like a mirror..:)

You will need a none acidic type adhesive or it will eat into the backing.. Mirror mate will do and as for grouting, then a super fine CG2 grout..

U

user123

Or like a 70's bar set-up, could work quite well in a kitchen combined with chrome and stainless steel kitchen utensils on display in front of it, glass, too.... and how about using chrome trim available for cars? They are self adhesive, available at around that thickness and could look really good! Very easy to apply :thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

I remember doing those disco bars in the 70's:lol:

Best adhesive is double sided sticky pads or a glass silicone and due to the expansion properties don't grout.

Be prepared to find your ears being in a different position on your head and they are not happy with the uneven look, they should choose large pieces of mirror.

U

user123

I remember doing those disco bars in the 70's:lol:

Best adhesive is double sided sticky pads or a glass silicone and due to the expansion properties don't grout.

Be prepared to find your ears being in a different position on your head and they are not happy with the uneven look, they should choose large pieces of mirror.

Hmm, double sided sticky pads and no grouting? That is just asking for condensation / mould growth in the gaps in between on the back, and the mirror mate is easier/more pleasant to use than the glass silicone John. As to the expansion issues, I use mirror within my grouted mosaics without any problem, so not sure what you mean there?

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Time's Ran Out

Small pieces of mirror do not have the expansion properties of large format mirror tiles and if you use a cement based grout in an environment of temperature variation such as a kitchen, then chipping of the glass will occur.

J

jay

Sorry MG but i think timless is right if were talking the same mirror tiles they use to be around 219x219 beveled edge and you needed to leave a gap for expansion (match stick) they now make all sorts but if they are thin 3mm they are the ones he is talking about

D

Daz

:lol:
I've just stripped 5sqm of mirror tiles from a wall. They looked dreadful!
The wall looks a lot better now though.

They all came off fine, so if anyone wants a shed load of mirror tiles, just make me an offer :thumbsup:.

J

jay

:lol:
I've just stripped 5sqm of mirror tiles from a wall. They looked dreadful!
The wall looks a lot better now though.
They all came off fine, so if anyone wants a shed load of mirror tiles, just make me an offer :thumbsup:.
dont like your own reflection Daz:lol:

T

Time's Ran Out

Captain - Mrs timeless just read your post and she was wondering if there was enough for her bedroom ceiling!

Apparently she only needs an area of 6'x6' - something to do with reflecting more light into the room:lol:

U

user123

I had picked up on the 7cm width ... not very wide ... but John, as to the grout I thought one of the reasons to cover the back of the mirror tiles properly with a non-acidic adhesive was for the purpose of protecting it against the acidity of the grout? Anyhow, as always an education... :)

Reply to mirror tiles in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks