Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Metro tile spacers, 4mm. Is it going to look awful? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
hi, doing a diy job of filing our kitchen using metro tiles for b&q. We have started and have used the 4mm tile spacers but now we’ve realised that we probably should’ve used smaller. Is it going to look awful? Has anyone use 4mm before?
We’ve chosen anthracite tiles and white grout. Should we change the colour?
Tiles not quite as dark as photo but attached a photo so you can get an idea.
Thank you, would appreciate any advice

B0281F78-2DC4-4280-8C7F-DC81F3BEFDB2.jpeg

O

One Day

It's a personal choice but I wouldn't.
2mm normally looks about right.
That said, I have 5mm joints on my kitchen tiles 100x100 rustic ceramics. But the boss picked that - not me!

S

Spare Tool

2mm or perhaps 3mm it it makes the set out better, you haven't gone too far to start again though..totally contrasting grout will show up every little discrepancy. One thing I will say is do a full row at a time or you could come a cropper jumping up rows before they're completed..

OP
C
Reaction score
Thank you, other half won’t start again so going with it will definitely go for the darker grout though, good point about lighter grout show up any discrepancies! Will take the white grout back and swap it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good grey grout?
Have already come a cropper with ending on a tile that needs to be about 2cm wide I’ll hide it with a plant

S

Spare Tool

Thank you, other half won’t start again so going with it will definitely go for the darker grout though, good point about lighter grout show up any discrepancies! Will take the white grout back and swap it. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good grey grout?
Have already come a cropper with ending on a tile that needs to be about 2cm wide I’ll hide it with a plant
Ultra grout in anthracite, or Tilemaster dark grey would be my recommendation..

Reaction score
From your photo you've only got 13 tiles to take off and start again.
Find and mark the centre of each wall to be tiled, you can then determine the best way to set the tiles out to avoid awkward unsightly cuts into corners. It's worth spending a bit of time doing this. If you are tile up to/around/into window sills/reveals think about how the tiles will look. Windows and splash backs behind cookers/hobs/below extractors etc tend to be focal points. You and your other half will be much happier with the end result. Good luck :)

Reaction score
Oh dear. Somebody should have called the A-Team. Even YouTube is better than this.
In order to help though, they need to take them off, make good the plaster, and use the spirit level on every full course (first checking the worktop level). Once that is done, then grout colour can be decided.

Last edited:

widler

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh dear. Somebody should have called the A-Team. Even YouTube is better than this.
In order to help though, they need to take them off, make good the plaster, and use the spirit level on every full course (first checking the worktop level). Once that is done, then grout colour can be decided.
It’s a diy job , not a pro job, he is asking for advice , not someone being a bit of a bell, seems to come easy to you this doesn’t it , you ain’t a plumber are you , second name waligi :eek:

Reply to Metro tile spacers, 4mm. Is it going to look awful? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock