Discuss Marty80 here to say hello in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

Waluigi

Welcome to the forum.

The kitchen splash back is the perfect start to your career. The wet room isn’t I’m afraid.

Are you attempting the whole thing?

I had ten years under my belt before I attempted one, the complete room and I did a phenomal amount of research. This was going back over 15 years when they were still new. Please look into it all thoroughly before attempting it.

Marty80

TF
Reaction score
I understand where you are coming from but I spoke to a few tilers locally and they were not interested in taking on a newbie tiler. The one that did was talking apprentice wages and there is no way I could keep my credit commitments based on that, we all have a standard of life to keep eh?
I am planning on doing the wetroom with my plumber mate, who although has never installed a wetroom is confident we can pull it off.
Cheers guys
Marty

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
“Good enough to get paid” and “confident we can pull it off” o_O

I wish you all the best pal. :)

W

Waluigi

It does make a bit of a mockery out of those of us who are time served.

Essentially we are competing against someone who has done a two week course. You’ve got to feel sorry for the customers!

D

Dumbo

Welcome to the forum .
All the pictures I have seen of tiling courses have been people tiling with 6 inch ceramics . Be aware cutting , shaping and installing let's say a 600 x 600 x 10mm thick porcelain ( I say this size as it is pretty much the most common size now ) is a completely different ball game .
You say about money but maybe you should consider shadowing a tiler on your day off or arrange it that you work Saturday and can shadow someone in the week .
There are certain tilers who I may ask if they don't mind me shadowing them in the future for their particular skill set and I wouldn't dream of asking them to pay me .

Marty80

TF
Reaction score
I will mostly be working with my plumber mate, he has loads of experience having been in the trade for a good couple of years now.
He was the one who encouraged me to get into tiling so we could work together fitting bathrooms and wetrooms as his normal tiler was getting too expensive.
We should be fine but hopefully I have you guys if we get a bit stuck.
Cheers guys
Marty.

Marty80

TF
Reaction score
I need to work full time so shadowing someone experienced won’t work, I need to earn a good wage from the start that’s why I am jumping in at the deep end.
I was working as an estate agent previously so wages were really good and regular.
Got to keep up the house and Mercedes payments to keep the wife happy.
Cheers guys
Marty.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oops..

What did I say?

A couple of years experience you say.

It took me 3 years to finish my apprenticeship!

Please tell me he didn’t do an intensive course.

W

Waluigi

He has loads of experience as a Plumber after a couple of years?....Hand on Heart, it took me a decade to know what I was doing in the Plumbing world and when I look back to that time I still knew nothing. Two years in the trade and he is still a tea boy.

A course cowboy and a tea boy. I’m out. Good luck asking for advise.

Marty80

TF
Reaction score
Looks like I have already upset two “regulars” on this forum then.
It appears they are not tilers anyway so don’t think there is much advice for them to give.
Hopefully there are more understanding members to help guide a newbie in his future career.
Cheers guys
Marty

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Looks like I have already upset two “regulars” on this forum then.
It appears they are not tilers anyway so don’t think there is much advice for them to give.
Hopefully there are more understanding members to help guide a newbie in his future career.
Cheers guys
Marty

Excuse me!

I think I will leave you to it pal!

W

Waluigi

Nobody is upset :smile:

Apart from your customers of course when they discover they have employed a couple of people with the skill level of two droopy eyed armless children.

Goodbye.

Reply to Marty80 here to say hello in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks