Discuss Marley Tiles - What do I do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gentleman Jim

Evening folks. Things seem to be taking off again after the Christmas lull, hope it's the same for you guys.
Looked at a job today where customer wants new flooring. Present floor is covered in 1970's style "Marley type" tiles (dark brown, about 9inches square, probably about 2mm thick and flexible before fixed - you know what I mean!) which have been stuck down to a fairly flat and level concrete floor. One has partially come up in the kitchen and there are signs of a black rubbery stuff which I guess is the glue.
My question is what to do now? I guess there is no way I should lay ceramic or porcelain tiles on top of existing flooring so does it all have to come up? If so what's the best way? Would scoring with a grinder suffice? (I doubt it)
Any help, as always, gratefully recieved.
Many thanks
Jim

G

Gentleman Jim

No answers! Does this mean no idea or no interest?
In case it's the first case, I contacted those nice people at BAL and was informed that as long as the old tiles were firmly attached (which they definitly are) I could seal the surface with BAL Bond and then use SPF to fix straight on top.
If no interest then I guess you won't be reading this either!
Regards
Jim

R

Ric

Jim think under the vinyl is bitumen, i ve had this got the tiles up cleaned the bitumen up with suger soap to degrease it then primed with bal bond.

D

DHTiling

hi jim....there are alot of joints there as well ..so you could use Ditra to isolate the new tiled surface from any chance of de-bonding with stress from old tiles....or as bal sez just prime and tile over....
and also a slurry coat would give good adhesion as well..........

T

tiler tom

G Jim it seems to me you have answered your own question in the post.

One has partially come up in the kitchen and there are signs of a black rubbery stuff which I guess is the glue.
My question is what to do now? I guess there is no way I should lay ceramic or porcelain tiles on top of existing flooring so does it all have to come up?

If some of the tiles are loose then the chances are that the others are not far behind. A good old fashioned scraper to ease the loose tiles up could be the answer.

G

Gazzer

The black stuf is the adhesive they used back then, i dont think they use the same stuff now.
As for the tiles, yes as others have said you can tile over the Marleys, but i would put a bet on that if you got a scraper and slid it under the tiles that they wouold come up easily. I have done this countless times over the 31 years of trading and that would be my advice.

L

Lady janie

Beware, we have these tiles and when having an asbestos survey done it said they contained asbestos, either the tile itself or the bitumen base, so if removing them be careful and wear an appropriate mask and then dispose of as asbestos in the correct way! We are going to fill the chipped areas with some self levelling/filler then lay new floor over the top to encapsulate the asbestos. Sounds like BAL bond is the right stuff, still researching.

Reply to Marley Tiles - What do I do? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks