Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Marley Tile Floor in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Can someone please tell me whether you can put tanking on top of marley tiles or if not, what is the best way of getting the tiles off the floor. Thanks

OP
W

White Room

You stated that the house is 1920's, some of the older tiles contain asbestos that may worth checking out or post a picture.

OP
S

Susanna

You stated that the house is 1920's, some of the older tiles contain asbestos that may worth checking out or post a picture.
20150528_175847~2.jpg

OP
J

jamespaul

they look like armstrong vinyl asbestos to me
DONT try to remove them till your sure there safe

OP
S

Susanna

I started taking them off earlier. Hard work. Cos the laminate flooring that was on top and the boards underneath were soaking. I don't know what to do now. Is there anything I can put on top to stop the damp

Reaction score
Is the floor damp from a leak or moisture trapped under the laminate? Or did you only find the floor damp when you started lifting the marley tiles suggesting a failed dpm?
You could use an epoxy dpm. Ultra do an excellent one as do Mapei I believe. Though I've not used the mapei one myself.

OP
S

Susanna

Is the floor damp from a leak or moisture trapped under the laminate? Or did you only find the floor damp when you started lifting the marley tiles suggesting a failed dpm?
You could use an epoxy dpm. Ultra do an excellent one as do Mapei I believe. Though I've not used the mapei one myself.
No, nothing under the tiles. When I lifted the laminate there were big square green boards underneath, except they were brown cos they were soaking wet and it stank of sewerage. It seems to be dry now and the smell has gone thankfully lol. There are patches of damp on parts of the walls

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The green boards are sound proofing and insulation and act to help take out undulations in the floor too. Topps tiles sold them, made from paper so they'd have soaked up even the tiniest of leaks or damp over time. Probably rotting so might have caused the smell.

Might be worth finding the source of the moisture though!

OP
S

Susanna

The green boards are sound proofing and insulation and act to help take out undulations in the floor too. Topps tiles sold them, made from paper so they'd have soaked up even the tiniest of leaks or damp over time. Probably rotting so might have caused the smell.

Might be worth finding the source of the moisture though!
Yeah guess I will have to find a plumber. I am very wary as I am afraid of being ripped off lol

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Aren't we all!

Could be damp proofing in the walls perhaps. Is there anything obvious near pipes or is it all on the walls?!

We have a plumbing forum if you do need to find a good one. Check their post QTY and the quality of their replies etc.

www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk

OP
S

Susanna

Aren't we all!

Could be damp proofing in the walls perhaps. Is there anything obvious near pipes or is it all on the walls?!

We have a plumbing forum if you do need to find a good one. Check their post QTY and the quality of their replies etc.

www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk
Thankyou I found a small leak under the sink. The damp on the walls is much higher up

Reaction score
General rule of thumb is if the damp is showing as black spots or mildew it's probably localised so condensation or a drip from a pipe etc. If it's brown patches, like a tea stain, it's penetrating or rising damp. If it's less than about a metre high it could be rising, won't climb higher due to gravity. Most cases are simply condensation.

Reply to Marley Tile Floor in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock