Discuss Marble Tiles on Solid Plastered Wall in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

jus001

-
Reaction score
Hello,

Just about to embark on an extension and the first job is to move the bathroom into what was part of the old living room.

The walls are solid blockwork with a plaster finish (and wallpaper).

I would imagine marble would be too heavy to fix directly to the plastered wall so I was wondering what would be the best way of preparing the walls such that I lose the minimum of space in the room please?

The obvious thing that comes to mind is battening it out and using a 12mm cement tile backer board. This will lose a good 40mm by the time the tiles are on though which is not ideal as space is a little tight.

I'm wondering, however, that if the walls are flat enough, is it possible to use 6mm board and adhesive directly to the wall with plenty of screws to supplement the adhesive? Instinct tells me that's a bad idea but on the face of it it doesn't seem that different to screwing battens to the wall then screwing boards to them.

Alternatively, if all the plaster was removed, can you tile directly to blockwork or a sand and cement render?

Thanks!

Reply to Marble Tiles on Solid Plastered Wall in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks