Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Mapei primer G skinned over in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi,
I've previously posted in this forum about my first failed tile attempt. I was able to take up the tiles easily after they'd set and someone suggested my primer may have skinned over.

Since then I've taken up all the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and primer and have primed again with mapei primer g 1:1 and it has skinned over as you can see from my picture. You can also see that it looks like there are two different types of material on the floor. The material closer to me is slightly higher than the material that the primer is peeling off. I don't have a clue what the screed is and am wondering if that might be my problem.

My intention is to level the floor with mapei ultraplan self leveler.

IMG_20191024_211517.jpg

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You seem to have some backing from some underlay or chord carpet there.

Have you rang Mapei Tech line to speak to somebody there? - They're awesome guys. Mention Dan sent you from the forum and they'll help you out as best they can.

Sounds like you might need to mechanically move whatever it is that's on your floor. Get right back to the actual surface to tile to.

You can use sanders and grinders and perhaps even a SDS to hammer away at it, create some scores for the primer to adhere into.

That all said, I'm not a tiler. So speak to Mapei for me. :)

Address

Mapei House - Steel Park Road, Halesowen - West Midlands, United Kingdom

Phone

+44-121-5086970

Fax

+44-121-5086960

Email

[email protected]

Url

http://www.mapei.co.uk

OP
H

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Not sure if pourable. It's been down since the house was built 12 years ago. It's not heated.
Ive just sanded a patch and it's a white /light grey and is rough after sanding.
I'm going to sand the whole floor back today.

OP
H

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
So I've spent over an hour sanding the floor back. Would I only need one application of the primer 4:1 or would it need multiple applications?

OP
H

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
I've made 3 applications of the primer mixed 4:1 I haven't applied it very thick, just enough so I can see the floor is wet where I've applied it.
Should I leave it there or apply more? I'm not sure how much is enough and I don't want it to skin over again.

OP
H

Hoot37

DIY Tiler
Reaction score
Thank you for everyone who's helped me so far. Just an update for you. I've just poured my self leveling compound. The majority of the floor has about 4mm, but as you can see there are a few high spots where obviously the level is below the minimum of 3mm recommended by mapei. Shouldn't matter though should it? Because its only in a few small patches.

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_150346.jpg
    IMG_20191027_150346.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 20

Reply to Mapei primer G skinned over in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock