Discuss Mapei Grout Scratches in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Has anybody out there had an issue with Mapei Ultrcolour Plus Grout scratching the surface of ceramic tiles?

Just fixed a small area of high gloss black ceramics and grouted as usual using Mapei Anthracite grout. When I polished of the minimal residue almost all of the tiles had fine surface scratches, only really visible when the lights directly above them were turned on. I checked each tile before fixing and they were fine so it is obviously the grouting that has done it. I have fixed loads of the same tile but this is the first time I've used Anthracite grout on them, on floors yes but a first on walls and on gloss black.

Anyone had the same?

Anyone any possible remedies apart from taking them all off and starting again but with a different grout?

Spooner

H

hillhead

Cement based can scratch.
I'm sick of marble coming out of crates already scratched.

Reaction score
First time (and last) that I've used that type of grout with glossy tiles, the client got it along with the tiles. Like I said, I've not had a problem with any other grout like this. Not the end of the world, a couple of hours to knock them off and start again. Nice coffee and cake makes it worth a revisit.

U

user123

On sensitive surfaces try using kera colour FF.

Hm, interesting, does that mean it's a finer grout than ultracolour then? Could be interesting for me ... does it come in the same colour range? Just googled it and it mentions fugolastic - have you ever used that, does that make it creamier still?

D

DHTiling

Hm, interesting, does that mean it's a finer grout than ultracolour then? Could be interesting for me ... does it come in the same colour range? Just googled it and it mentions fugolastic - have you ever used that, does that make it creamier still?

Wide joint grouts are a coarse grain of sand.. so yes the finer the grout the better for glass or polished surfaces.. FF will go to a 6mm joint.

And same colour pallet as Ultra colour

U

user123

I must admit I've been using a different Ultra brand lately, supplies of anything are very limited in Scarborough, but will look into that one, thanks.. :) what about the fugolastic, is that the kind of effect as SBR Bond?

S

Spud

you need to remember to use a brand new clean grout float too, I have seen metal trim scratched where old groat floats were used

D

DHTiling

Fugolastic is a polymer additive..

Mapei also do SF grout ( Super fine ) and goes to 4mm joints, even better for your intricate work..

Reaction score
Just been reading the technical spec on the Ultra Colour Plus and it says its suitable for all ceramic and glass tiles. Hmm. Will be chatting to the rep on Monday and see what he reckons.

I have used Fugolastic and GT1 as additives for areas where there has been a risk of too much movement for standard polymer mod grout. Slightly different in that Fugo is a water replacement and the GT1 is a supplement. No probs either way.

D

DHTiling

Just been reading the technical spec on the Ultra Colour Plus and it says its suitable for all ceramic and glass tiles. Hmm. Will be chatting to the rep on Monday and see what he reckons.

I have used Fugolastic and GT1 as additives for areas where there has been a risk of too much movement for standard polymer mod grout. Slightly different in that Fugo is a water replacement and the GT1 is a supplement. No probs either way.

As in it will bond to them..:lol:.. surface scratches is the grout grains..

Reaction score
Noted. Ha.

Actually, I dont generally use Mapei on walls as its a bit tricky on the float (i.e. it slips off too easily) usually BAL or Dunlop for white, ivory, grey or limestone which is the norm these days.

Reply to Mapei Grout Scratches in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Damian
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks