Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Mapei grout - can i fill in with more grout in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
I've been grouting our kitchen floor with Ultracolour Plus.

First of all, I found it difficult to spread the grount and every time I went over it with my spreader, I just gragged more out. If I wet it, the problem went away, but that moistened the surface quite a bit - shoudl I avoid it.

Secondly, I think I've wiped away too much grout. The grout is slightly sunken relative to the tile edge. Should I be able to get it completely flush? In which case, can I just spread a little more grout over the top - will it bond properly, or should I either think about redoing it, or just leaving 'as is'.

Ta.

OP
M

Muse2k8

Mapei grout is amazing stuff! Are you using a float or a spreader thing? What kind of ratio did you mix it to, is it mixed well and what kind of consistency have you got?

I'm currently thinking a touch more water and use a decent grout float.

OP
Q

Qwerty

Mapei grout mixed to the correct (and labelled) ratios is fine to work with and can be remixed a few times to extend pot life. If you mix in too much water (or add in more water after initial mix) you will create a whole different problem!

Grout lines should sit just below tile surface so it sounds like you have a decent joint (photos would help us advise you)

Do not add more grout to an existing grout joint

OP
S

swanman

mapei grout in my opion is the best grout to use

But never remix with water

grout your lines then leave for about 10mins wash off with one swipe of your wash boy sponge that should do it

Good Luck

OP
G

Gall.B

Sound as if the grout might have sunk when set due to all the coming in to contact with it, pics will help.

When spreading go diagonaly across joints to avoid dragging it out and make sure its well pressed in to the joints.
leave to take a bite 10 mins depending on conditions and wash off again diagonally with damp not wet sponge rinsing often.

OP
J

jwatson

I find the mapei grout harder to work with than others. but imo it has a better finish.
a measured mix is a must. it says on the bag leave 15-30 mins before wiping off but obvs its tested at 20oC.
keep an eye on it, and make your own mind up. may be more or less than 20oC in the area your working, so u will need to adjust times accordingly.
it needs to be forced into the grout joints and wiped diagonally with your float as brian (gallb) says.
when i wipe off, plasterers bucket full of clean warm water(cos my hand dont like cold:lol:) rise sponge regularly and get rid as much water as possible. sustained heavy pressure on sponge and circular motion size of dinner plate, turn sponge over and repeat in same area, wash sponge and repeat the process, making sure to change dirty water every so often.

OP
M

Matt P

I grouted yesturday and many of the joints sunk. I want to re coat the entire surface to bring accurate.

Reply to Mapei grout - can i fill in with more grout in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
BIG_AL
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock