Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Managing Transition from Cement Board to Plasterboard in bathroom in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi all,

Have been here in the past for a previous job some years back, but back again to get some great advice on my next job. I'm renovating my bathroom. Existing wet areas around shower and bath appear to just be plasterboard (!!) so I am looking to cut out the existing plasterboard for the areas I expect to be wet, prepare studwork properly, then install cement boards in their place ready for tile. I'll be looking to keep some of the plasterboard however as I don't want to replace all of the walls, so I will need to transition between cement board and plasterboard.

Here's a picture of the existing situation showing the part of the wall to be replace by cement board, and the part to be retained as plasterboard:

IMG_1600-1.jpg

I'm after some advice on how to manage the transition between the two types of wall, basically what do I need to do and think about?

Some initial thoughts I've had and some questions I have:

- Should I setup my studwork so that I get my cement board flush with the plasterboard, or set the cement board back from the plasterboard to allow for the depth of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ + tile? I don't mind the tiles standing proud of the painted wall, as I intend to finish them off neatly with edging from the bath to ceiling, so it seems easier to me to install the cement boards flush with the existing wall.

- What are the best tape and jointing medium/compound to use for the joint? Americans seem to use 'joint compound' between cement boards and plasterboard, but what would we call that in the UK? Any recommendations on specific materials appreciated.

- What would be the best way to ensure water tightness? Should I get the joint between the two boards taped and sealed and then apply a liquid-based waterproofer/tanker to cover both? Or are there options to use some sort of waterproofing sheeting (e.g. a Ditra type thing?)

- There's a very big wall-length mirror to the left which is glued on and I ideally don't want to remove it. How can I ensure where the new cement boards meet the mirror that it is watertight? Am I going to be better off in the long run just removing it altogether and rebuilding the walls correctly?

Many thanks in advance ladies and gents!

D

DarkBlue

I tried to plaster on cement board, but I couldn't get it to work. This resource was very useful to me. If anyone is interested in this subject, you can take a look at this resource.

Reply to Managing Transition from Cement Board to Plasterboard in bathroom in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock