Discuss Making up skirting tile in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Morning all,
I've finished tiling my whole downstairs in 600 x 600 glazed white porcelain and my other half is over the moon - me less so, but that's a different story :) . I removed skirting and architraves before tiling thankfully, because she now wants a white skirting tile in the kitchen with a brushed aluminium trim across the top (and possibly the bottom too), plus all the plinths tiled the same. There is no matching skirting tile for the tiles I've used so I'd have to make them up from full tiles. I have a decent wetsaw (ND-200) and blade and polishing pads and think I can get a decent finish. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Think of it as the same thing. Cut your tile to the height you want. With a dry or wet cutter. What are the tiles? Trim the top. Don’t trim the bottom. Silicone. Is floor level? You might to put a datum up on wall to get the shirting dead level

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. The tiles are 600 x 600 9mm thick white glazed porcelain. I'm comfortable with the tiling aspect, but it was the finishing of the tiles I was primarily worried out. Is it possible to get a really nice finish or is it something a tiler would avoid doing ?. Also, would you follow the grout lines from the floor into the skirting normally ?

acaciaguy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
When you cut the tile the cut edge will be the one to the floor. So the actually finish of the edge isn’t of great important as you will put a silicone joint between floor and wall / skirting tile. Just ensure cut is good enough to look good.

Reaction score
Great stuff. I can polish up the cut edges with a diamond polishing pad. So you wouldn't have a cut edge top and bottom ?

S

Spare Tool

Skirting tiles are generally 150mm, set your scribe cutter or wet saw guide at exactly quarter of a tile and use all 4 pieces, quick rub with a diamond pad across the top and fix lined up with floor, use red wedges at bottom to keep alligned then slip trim in, mitre external corners butt up internal and mitre all corners of trim.. As above silicone joint from skirt to floor..

Reply to Making up skirting tile in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks