Discuss Loose Floor tiles :( New Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
got an issue with 2 bathrooms I've just had tiled. So the issue is with the floor tiles which happen to be the same ones I have on the wall and are fine. The issue is that the tiles in both bathrooms have become loose and the grout has started to come away. Now the tiler has been round twice to rectify the issue but it's still there. I've spoken other tilers who I've asked to come round to fix the issue and some have suggested that the floor which was made up of cement board screwed to the joists needed a primer before the tiles went on and the other guy saying that he would have gone with ply. The cement board that was used looked like some generic board which was really heavy and had some sort of semi shiny covering on both sides. The builder who prepared the floor with the cement board said he screwed it down well and the adhesive used was UltraTile Proflex SP+ES bagged.

Any advice?

T

Time's Ran Out

As a Tiler I want to prepare the substrate prior to tiling. That means adhesive and mechanical fixing of cement boards ( Hardie not shiney boards) taped joints and flexible adhesive. Now you have to determine who is responsible - builder/tiler.
Certainly don’t agree with your ‘tilers’ choices of preparation, Hardie doesn’t need priming and Plywood is not suitable as a finished over boarding material.

F

Flintstone

I've never seen a shiny board before? If it is a cement board, the bond to that with that adhesive is very strong. Could be movement in the sub floor ?

H

hmtiling

I hope it's not 12mm direct to joist. The 22mm nmp is good stuff and the adhesive mentioned is one I use very often without issue. Could be no priming. It will suck the life out of adhesive very quickly ruining the bond

G

GoneGuy

Sounds like no more ply boards?
Did the builder use adhesive under the boards to fill any voids?
Sounds like no primer used and dusty surface which could cause the tile to de bond

Reaction score
I think the board that was put down was a generic hardiebacker board and it was supplied by the builders merchant. All I remember is that you cut it the same way as plasterboard with a Stanley knife. The builder is happy to pay for the works but I just want to be sure, this time it's done right.

Thanks

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I wonder if it was 6mm Knauff Aquapanel, that has a shiny top side and cuts with a knife.

H

hmtiling

I think the board that was put down was a generic hardiebacker board and it was supplied by the builders merchant. All I remember is that you cut it the same way as plasterboard with a Stanley knife. The builder is happy to pay for the works but I just want to be sure, this time it's done right.

Thanks
Cut with a Stanley knife sounds like coated xps, which topps say on their website can go direct to joist. It cannot and will fail. You need to find out exactly what thus stuff is

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oh yeah,
Direct to joists and cuts with a Stanley knife, not sounding good is it...

W

Waluigi

I originally thought it was a shiny XPS but the OP said it was a heavy board which adds even more confusion into it.

Reply to Loose Floor tiles :( New Floor in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks