Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Looking for some expert advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi All

As the title suggest I’m looking for some expert advice prior to having tiles fitted in my hall and living room.
I have moisture resistant chipboard floorboards (new build house) and would like to lay large porcelain/ceramic tiles ( approx 600mm x 600mm) and would like to know the proper procedure to prepare the floor so the tiles won’t crack over time.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Is it a floating floor?
Are there joints under the chipboard or is the chipboard laying on top of the insulation.

Boggs

TF
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Beat me to it @Boggs ;)

Soz :)
[automerge]1588877588[/automerge]
Yes joists are under the chipboards panels

First thing to do is check for deflection in the floor, simple way is to brim a glass with water, put it on the floor and jump up and down. If the water splashes out then the floor will need some strengthening with extra joists or noggings.
If it passes then overboard with 6mm Hardie backer, installed to manufacturers instructions and tile on top using a good quality https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/.
You should be good to go then.

P

Perfect Tiling

As Ardm said above. If you know there are no cables or pipes cut into the top of the joists you could put in extra screws as the floorboards are usually just held down with a few nails.
Also, depending how big your floor area is....remember expansion joints and its far better and neater to remove the skirting boards to leave a perimeter expansion gap then refix the skirts.

Reply to Looking for some expert advice in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock