Discuss Looking for advice on tiling over UFH in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

P

PeterB

Dear Experts!

Here's a homeowner looking for advice about a home renovation project. It's a mid-terrace property built in the 70's, located in southeast London.
I'm planning to retrofit wet UFH to the whole ground floor and laying procelain / ceramic tiles on top. There are two rooms to be upgraded, a kitchen-diner, about 16 sqm and an adjoining living room, 20 sqm.
I'm planning to have a Nu-heat low pro max system fitted, not sure if that's relevant.

The subfloor is concrete under the whole ground floor. In the living room, on the top of that we have an old parquet floor, covered by carpet (laid by the previous owners).
In the kitchen-diner we have a mix of laminate and ceramic tiles on the top of the concrete substrate.

Obviously all covering will go but not sure if I need to remove the parquet layer in the living room. Could that act as a (mediocre) insulation layer under the UFH?
Or should I rather have that removed and add insulation instead (e.g. high compression boards). I would also want to minimise the build-up.
And then another complication: the parquet floor seems to be fixed to the concrete with a black, sticky substance (bitumen perhaps?). Does that need removing? Or can the Low Pro panels be fixed on top of that?

Does this community agree that uncoupling membrane is an absolute must have in this situation? (One of the tilers said he's not usually using it).

Regarding the tiling. I'd like to have wood-effect tiles with long and narrow tiles, e.g. 15x90 cm. Would it be possible to use a very thin grout with rectified porcelain tiles? I'm thinking 1/16, 1/8 tops.
Would there be enough grout material to accomodate expansion and contraction? (Sorry for the silly questions!)

One of the tilers told me he would like to have the UFH working on low temperatures while laying the tiles. Is that a sound idea?

Do you have recommendation for any materials, tile suppliers, etc. Any other pitfalls I should avoid?

Thanks very much guys,
Peter

B

Bill

No such thing as a silly question, only silly c̶l̶i̶e̶n̶t̶s̶ answers.

low profile panels are better to use IF they are not foil faced, for tiling.

regarding the parquet flooring, it all depends on levels and substrates and movement.

Uncoupling is a safeguard for some situations.

Floor tiling should have a minimum of 3mm grout joint, by today's standard.

UFH should be commissioned before tiling but switched off before and during and then, on completion, slowly risen over a number of days.

As for pitfalls, avoid cowboys, avoid google DIY, avoid 'the builder said it will be OK'

As for advice to heed, do not be afraid of paying more money than you think it is worth, seek a competent professional tiler, listen to your tiler more than your builder, a true pro tiler will recommend the correct materials to buy.

Where are you based and what timescale do you have?

P

PeterB

Thanks very much Tom!

I'm in Orpington, London. Planning to get this done later this Spring.

G

GoneGuy

As @Tom Astley said, use this forum to find answers.
There is a thread on this forum where you can list your job/find a tiler m. I’m sure there will be a member who is close to you

Reply to Looking for advice on tiling over UFH in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
hoponbaby
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks