Discuss london underground tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

mattflann

hi just wondering has anyone tiled on the london underground do you know the names of any good companies to work for also what rate do you charge for price work and what do they pay you for ashift cheers matt.

E

enduro

Re: London underground

I was contacted about 8 months ago about tiling on London underground by a company, sounded good but they wanted me to be able to speak polish as they wanted me to be in charge of a gang. Didn't do it, so cant really tell you much more. Try job agencies in London you will probably find some detail their.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: London underground

I was contacted about 8 months ago about tiling on London underground by a company, sounded good but they wanted me to be able to speak polish as they wanted me to be in charge of a gang. Didn't do it, so cant really tell you much more. Try job agencies in London you will probably find some detail their.
I'm guessing the pay isn't too good then.

bansko

TF
Reaction score
All work on the underground stations used to be paid per shift, and very short shifts at that. Couldnt start till after the last train and had to be cleaned up well before the first train, am talkin about quite a few years ago. Nowadays I think you need a LUL card (london underground licence). Advertising on gumtree at the moment for fixers but havent a clue what rates they pay, used to be good earners.

F

Fred

You'd be working mainly night shifts, unless the actual tube station was shut for maintenance, I know, have mates working 'down there'........lol

oh, yes, the pay is ok.

be a tube driver, 38k a year plus benifits.

B

buzz killington

do u know how much a shift or what price per sq m they were paid

most tilers on the underground are on £130 a shift however good tilers get up to £150
to work on the underground you need an entry permit (LUL) passport to safty (Metronet) and a cscs card

there are 3 tiling companys that i know of they are
WB Simpsons
DMC RAIL
and
KCF
as was said before start at 1 normally end 4:30 (differs from station to station)

DMC are the biggest they have around 75% of the stations however im pretty sure they have too many tilers at the minute
Simpsons im told aren't very busy
and i've only ever seen KCF on 1 station (warren street)

if you're relativly new to tiling i would say avoid DMC

hope that helps
ps if you find a number for KCF can you send me it in a private message please, cheers,

BUZZ:ninja:

M

MarbleMaster

We are a contractor for London Underground TFL.

Luckily we work directly for the Arts Department on invisble Terrazzo repairs and Reinstallations.

Another company that work for Londond Underground is TRI thay also do mainstream LU work.

I would say that at the moment I get about 3 calls a week from Gangs looking for Terrazzo breakout and reinstall work and it is increasing. Quite a few projects have been put on hold obviously because of the current economic climate.

As for rates you will get in the region of £180 - £220 per shift depending on experience.

ED

D

dean39

Remember last year i was offered work from a chap on here,prices were £240 for 20 mtrs but you only had 4hrs to do it.................they even offered to find digs at £120 a week.................think his name was stewart from kent..............he was on this forum...................:thumbsup:

L

LM Ceramics

dont know whether anyone remembers but i watched paul o grady show a few months back now and there was tiler on there who works for a company who did the tiling on the london underground

if anyone watches it u might remember

R

RockCeramics

A fellow member asked me about LUL work some time back and this is some information that might help you.

Before you can enter a LUL site you need to take a few tests to see if you are competent to work on site
these tests are usually a day long test , the cards you require are as follows
1 CSCS, you probally have this as you are required to have this on any uk site, plus you would need to purchase the card aswell.
2, LUL entry permit this card is a safety induction card this has to be with you at all times ((in some cases you would have to show this to your site person in charge)
you would need to provide 2 passport photos for this.
3, Atkins passport this to is a safety induction card and you swipe on entry to a metronet alliance site . you can get entry & atkins passport here
ΛTKINS Training Centre
80-84 Bondway
Vauxhall
London SW8 1SF
Tel: 0207 121 2100
4 Tube lines also have a safety induction card (i have not had 1 of those) but i was told you can get 1 of these from d&d rail. www.ddrail.com based in essex .

I not sure about the total costing of these but you probally wont be far off £150 this does not include your travel costs as well as your days lost for not working.
When you need to apply for these you have to go through a registered company with LUL , but there are some places you can go through i will look in to this a bit
later for you.
the main tiling companies that work on LUL sites are
1, DMC TILING www.dmccontracts.co.uk based in essex ( they have also bought out Kengate a terrazzo tiling manufactures from simpsons.)
2, W.B. Simpson & Sons [DLMURL="http://www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk/"]www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk[/DLMURL] based in surrey mainly flooring contractors for LUL. granite tiles
3, Famerit uk : www.famerit.co.uk this company is starting in the LUL 4 yrs based in Kent.
these a the main tiling contractors to get you started .

PPE
when on site you need to be aware that all ppe have to be worn at all times ,
gloves,glasses/goggles. hi vis vest (orange) safety boots. hard hat. when cutting they want you to wear goggles, dust mask, ear plugs aswell .
all power tools to be P.A.T tested every 3 months not a year .
Doing the tests is the easy part . because of certain reasons some of the tiling companies rather use Polish / portuguese as they are slightly cheapper to pay so it
can be very frustrating at times to get seen . I havent been on an LUL site for some time so things might have changed.
If there is anything you need pm me and i see what i can do . Hope this info helps you.
Kind regards
Andy

Last edited by a moderator:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
A fellow member asked me about LUL work some time back and this is some information that might help you.

Before you can enter a LUL site you need to take a few tests to see if you are competent to work on site
these tests are usually a day long test , the cards you require are as follows
1 CSCS, you probally have this as you are required to have this on any uk site, plus you would need to purchase the card aswell.
2, LUL entry permit this card is a safety induction card this has to be with you at all times ((in some cases you would have to show this to your site person in charge)
you would need to provide 2 passport photos for this.
3, Atkins passport this to is a safety induction card and you swipe on entry to a metronet alliance site . you can get entry & atkins passport here
ΛTKINS Training Centre
80-84 Bondway
Vauxhall
London SW8 1SF
Tel: 0207 121 2100
4 Tube lines also have a safety induction card (i have not had 1 of those) but i was told you can get 1 of these from d&d rail. www.ddrail.com based in essex .

I not sure about the total costing of these but you probally wont be far off £150 this does not include your travel costs as well as your days lost for not working.
When you need to apply for these you have to go through a registered company with LUL , but there are some places you can go through i will look in to this a bit
later for you.
the main tiling companies that work on LUL sites are
1, DMC TILING www.dmccontracts.co.uk based in essex ( they have also bought out Kengate a terrazzo tiling manufactures from simpsons.)
2, W.B. Simpson & Sons [DLMURL="http://www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk/"]www.wbsimpsonsons.co.uk[/DLMURL] based in surrey mainly flooring contractors for LUL. granite tiles
3, Famerit uk : www.famerit.co.uk this company is starting in the LUL 4 yrs based in Kent.
these a the main tiling contractors to get you started .

PPE
when on site you need to be aware that all ppe have to be worn at all times ,
gloves,glasses/goggles. hi vis vest (orange) safety boots. hard hat. when cutting they want you to wear goggles, dust mask, ear plugs aswell .
all power tools to be P.A.T tested every 3 months not a year .
Doing the tests is the easy part . because of certain reasons some of the tiling companies rather use Polish / portuguese as they are slightly cheapper to pay so it
can be very frustrating at times to get seen . I havent been on an LUL site for some time so things might have changed.
If there is anything you need pm me and i see what i can do . Hope this info helps you.
Kind regards
Andy

Nice info there. :) Thank you.

Last edited:

Reply to london underground tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks