Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Limra Limestone floor tiles shiny patches on filler! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

United States of America
A

AshleyT

Please checkout the following advertisement.
998AE25E-1FCF-41DA-A735-E689DA5861C9.jpeg AA37EAE7-CED6-4D28-A7FE-746364C67B7A.jpeg Evening all, I’m new to the forum and after some advice on a problem I have with some flooring, so am calling on the wealth of knowledge that is here! We had limra honed limestone (floors of stone) laid 3 years ago to our kitchen, utility, and hallway. It was sealed with lTP colour intensifier and stainblock. I was very happy with the finished job, however over the last year or so, shiny patches have appeared, which seem to be where small bits have been filed and then sealed ( I assume on production). They really let the floor down and am after advice as to what to do. If we need the floor restoring (polishing down etc), can anyone recommend any contacts near the Devon/Cornwall border, near Launceston ?? I will try and attach some pics to give you an idea. Many thanks in advance, I look forward to any replies.

OP
D

Deleted member 49260

My rubber chair pads scratch my laminate if gritty, I wonder if it's fine grit buffing the sealer smooth or off?

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
In production ,if the stone is filled in areas, the filler can have a finer surface finish, so will the stone when first installed.
After several years the face of the stone will open up ( become rougher, open pored )with trafficking and maintenance .small micro pores will then fill with dirt giving a slightly grubby appearance . The smooth filler will remain the same and appear cleaner. This then shows up on the tile.

You can "test" a suitable alkaline stone cleaner on one tile and re- impregnate when fully dry. This may improve the look. Or perhaps have the stone re polished with diamonds or twister or kgs type pads to refresh the face and possibly cut the filler smear back. Then impregnate.

Maintain with a specific stone daily cleaner to minimise cutting the Impregnator or further damage to the stone face.

OP
A

AshleyT

Many thanks for all your replies, appreciated. I think you’ve hit the nail on the head with it Lithofin Bob, that’s exactly what appears to have happened. Does anyone have any contacts in the south west area who undertake this type of floor restoration work? Really disappointed with the existing floor and would like to get it looking it’s best again, was even toying with the idea of micro topping on top just to cover it all up! Thanks again everyone

Reply to Limra Limestone floor tiles shiny patches on filler! in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
05jtaylor
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock