Discuss Limestone tiles water marks days after being laid in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

Leigh

Hi I’m looking for some advice regarding some limestone floor tiles we are laying. They are coming up with water marks that don’t seem to be drying after around 5 days. They were laid on a bed of white adhesive which is fully across the tiles not just the corners. The floor was coated with pva.

Any advice on why this has happened and if the water marks will dry eventually would be great

Q

Qwerty

Um, not quite sure where to start with this one. PVA is a huge no no. What adhesive was used and onto what substrate?

L

Leigh

Um, not quite sure where to start with this one. PVA is a huge no no. What adhesive was used and onto what substrate?
White flex fibre from Topps tiles, the salesman said this was the one to use. They are laid onto levelling compound as the floor was uneven. Is the pva the problem?

S

Spare Tool

I had a thread up a while ago about limestone that had been blobbed down on a window cill by a builder and @Paul C. came up with this..
Screenshot_20190826-201745.png

D

Dumbo

What makes you think it's water.
Is your adhesive slow or fast set .
Is it honed and filled limestone and have you been backfilling the tiles .

Last edited by a moderator:

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If it’s slow set, it can take an age to totally dry. Also, As mentioned, PVA is a no no......

L

Leigh

What makes you think it's water.
Is your adhesive slow or fast set .
Is it honed and filled limestone and have you been backfilling the tiles .
It looks like water, what else could it be?
Slow set
I’m not sure on the last question so possibly not

L

Leigh

If it’s slow set, it can take an age to totally dry. Also, As mentioned, PVA is a no no......
I now have the proper primer for the floor so there will be no more ppv

It’s just a question on what to do with the first half of the tiles. Should I take them up and start again or will they dry out eventually

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I’d leave it for a few days, don’t grout, get some ventilation going.

Also, how long after self levelling was it tiled?

Reply to Limestone tiles water marks days after being laid in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks