Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Limestone picture framing? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys i am new on here but reading to all the responses on here i can see there are an awfull lot of stone fixers and tilers on here with decades of experience, and i would like help and advice to this major problem. I have laid a 30mm limestone floor on to a concrete screed with underfloor heating the stone was not 100% dry when laid but the contractor insisted it was laid even though i advised leaving it to dry for a week in the property. The stone was laid with white flexible stone fix s2 https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ this was left untouched for a week to dry then sealed twice in two days with lithofin stain stop. I have used this stone before and was worried how pourus it was so grouted 2 m2 at a time so there wasn't any stainage which previously was fine. This time however the stone has horrendous staining were i have just grouted the joints have cleaned with lithofin power clean as i thought grout was trapped in the cappilarys but this hasnt touched it if anything it looks worse a the stone surface is now really clean?! what can i and should i do to try and rectify this and were do i stand if what i have done is correct regarding the buider if this cannot be rectified the stone alone was about £11000 for 35m2?!

any help and advice is much appreciated:mad2:

OP
J

jonnyc

Don't panic just yet.i have had picture framing on limestone literally hundreds of times and have always got rid of it.
the key point is to work out if the staining is moisture ingress or actually grout which has filled in tiny holes on surface.
can you first tell me the name of the limestone and what company it came from

OP
J

jonnyc

i have just seen picture of stone on my pc and image much clearer.
looks like moisture staining from water in grout.
you dont say if you sealed stone with mn or eco or w stainstop.
you would be least lilkely to have this problem with mn stainstop but the stone has to be perfectly dry.
the stone looks like cotswold or maybe bathstone or similar all of which are very porous and bath stone being particularly open pored.
i lay quite a bit of both stones usually from artisans of devizes and they are really very porous and usually sopping wet when they are crated straight off the saw.
even in good weather like this using rapid set i would not be surprised if i had to wait two weeks for stone to dry before sealing.
if i use mn stainstop i usually get about 3.5 mts per litre coverage.
even then after leaving over night to cure it is very difficult stone to grout.
on these type of stones i never use a polymer modified grout as it will stick to stone and you will never get it off.
secondly we always grout the whole face of stone because if you do not you will see a wide darker picture frame type stain the width of your squeegee down all the joints.this the grout getting in to tiny pores of stone and you will never get this out.
if you grout the whole face the whole stone gets the pores filled and it is not noticable.
your scenario looks different .
if i use mn stainstop i would not be surprised to get maybe a 15mm picture framing of moisture which has eeked in to edge of stone.
At this point you need to leave the stone for a few days to dry and then scrub with a weak mix of wexa cleaner .
the picture framing miraculously dissapears but it is vital that the stone hasand grout has had time to dry out. if you do it next day you will not get it off.
if i used stainstop eco or w i might expect to see wider picture framing and the stone would be much more difficult to grout.
if you have used stainstop w or eco on stone before it is properly dry it would get even worse picture framing maybe like you have now.
by all means give me call if you want to discuss.
i got really worried first few times. we are going back next to clean picture framing off a lincoln distressed stone from artisans.
artisans always supply a pre grout seler which is water based and stone always picture frames.
we usually cover the stone with breathable building paper whilst kitchen goes in and then come back a few weeks later scrub off staining apply last seal and wax next day.
i would be interested to know what the stone is .
i have never come across a honed stone costing£ 320.00 per sq mt.
artisans aged an distressed 600 x random is about that but much more work goes in to that.

OP
U

urban stone

Thanks for all the advice jonny i have all the advice needed to know tackle the problem, your input is much appreciated. Will post again when been to site next weeks cheers again.

OP
C

Concrete guy

For Future reference using Stain Stop MN in two coats in 24 hours is a bit of waste of time.

This is a very simple explanation but it describes how SS MN works.

Stain Stop MN is basically a wax like substance dissolved in thinners. When applied to the stone, the mixture soaks in and the thinners evaoporates, leaving a stone full of wax like substance which acts as an impregnating sealer. Once evaporation has taken place (usually within a few hours) you won't get anymore SS into the stone.

In fact, you should be applying a second coat within 20 minutes of the first cost before it's had time to go off (evaporate) anything done after that is simply a waste of time and money.

If it's a large floor, seal in sections that allows you to do this within the 20 minute time frame.

I used to import a huge amount of limestone (mostly from Portugal) each year and it all behaves differently to sealant depending on porosity, but follow the above and you;ll not go far wrong.

Oh, and more than two coats is a bit of waste of time.

Reply to Limestone picture framing? in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock