Discuss Limestone floor expansion joints. in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi guys, looking for advice. About to install a limestone floor. 900mm x 600mm x18mm on a 50mm poured screed encapsulating piped inderfloor heating sat on 170mm celotex. Ive struggled to convince the builder that I have to use an antu-cracking mat,(durabase probably) but Im having a real struggle to convince him that in my opinion the floor needs an expansion joint. Length of floor is approx 11 metres and width is 6metres. I was going to lay the slabs lengthways and install an expansion joint in a doorway between two rooms. However that leaves me an area of about 7metres x 6 metres open in the main floor. How and where can I put an expansion joint that isnt going to make it look like a supermarket floor. Any and all help gratefully received.

bsc ceramics

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would deffo use an anti fracture mat with this tile.
As for the expansion joints a soft joint between rooms
will be all you need. The 7x6 will be ok. are you tiling before
the skirting goes on? if so leave a gap to the edge and that will be fine.
Send us some pics 👍

Reaction score
:)
I would deffo use an anti fracture mat with this tile.
As for the expansion joints a soft joint between rooms
will be all you need. The 7x6 will be ok. are you tiling before
the skirting goes on? if so leave a gap to the edge and that will be fine.
Send us some pics 👍
Thank you. Yes, anti-fracture essential. Will send some pictures when done 👍

Reaction score

Thank you. Yes, anti-fracture essential. Will send some pictures when done 👍
Unfortunately, the builder has got his levels wrong. By adding the thickness of an anti-fracture mat would extend the tolerances he's allowed for. In plain terms, he's only got 12mm from the bottom of his door to the screed. His tiles are 18mm thick. Go figure.

Reply to Limestone floor expansion joints. in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks